I actually had some educational discussion on KS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
beakgeek
I actually had some educational discussion on KS

Some posted a question to KS on leopard genetics and I answered which caused a discussion that was other than "Am I hot?"

Who would have guessed.

Regards,

Terry

Old 04-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
Congratulations!!!!

That's always a pleasant suprise! There are a few regular posters that are pretty knowledgeable over there. I visit that forum several times a day, but lately have been pretty frustrated with the level of 'bad information' that was going around. Beginners really DO need a place to go and share and learn, but I just can't take it when these kids start giving advise a week after they monopolized the entire forum with their own emergency questions. I think the straw that broke my back was the kid who was terrified when a hatchling came out with it's yolk sack still attached, and another kid told him to try to poke it back in with his finger! When I get too pissed off, I just have to go away... and I have actually been considering pulling my sponsorship.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
lostkauze
Ya, thats why I came over here. Although I am not an expert, I find the questions on the animal's sexuality a bit below me. OMG my leo didnt eat 5 crickets like it normally does, what do I do? Seeing several of those in a row is a bit discouraging. I ask my dumb questions there, then come here for more serious ones. DaveCable is still over there, TLB seems to have lost visiblilty there, hm, trying to think whos still over giving advice... oh well, the sites needs a new leader. (I thought of you as the 'leader' over there.) Oh well, we'll see what happens over yonder.

Bye
Michael

Old 04-21-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
iasonn
I'm just glad we havn't been invaded by the crazy posts, OT posts etc. 'other site' indeed. I like it here much better. It's one thing to be new.....but read a FAQ, or a caresheet.....I swear I've seen 400 of them. It would be nice to have a system that allowed for 'tiers' of experience. Newbies ask questions through a moderator, and if they are helpful get modded to the next level, and can answer questions, people who breed go one higher, and large breeders higher still. That way you get intelligent conversation on every level of the hobby.

Just my .02

-Ron

Old 04-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #5
riverjop
Ron, I have an idea!

I vote for you to be the moderator! Everyone will send all the dorky questions and you can answer them!
JUST KIDDING lmao

Old 04-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #6
rinoa0587
my thoughts

i think one reason that alot of newbies go there as oppsed to here is their questions actually get answered. i asked a question here and got a reply like 1 month later. and about the yolk sack thingy if you kept following the post you would have seen that the person who posted to push it back in corected themselves after i stated that it would be a stupid thing to do and to go to a vet if they were so concerned. thats just my two cents. and if your so upset about the misinformation you should correct it, i have seen some very good info given out by you and a few others on that forum, but i do agree that the OT posts do get really rediculous.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
Golden Gate Geckos
you are right, Ashley...

The KS forum does get a LOT more traffic than here, and posts do get answered in greater number and frequency. I can also see why some might think this forum is a little more "clicky", because there are fewer people posting. Personally, I think the biggest problem over there is the redundancy of the questions that get asked which could easily be answered by utilizing the SEARCH tool for those topics...

It is really fortunate that these forums and information websites for reptiles are available nowdays. When I got started, there weren't any! We learned by whatever means necessary... and sometimes it was the hard and tragic way. Please don't misunderstand... I love these beautiful, gentle creatures, and genuinely want to help when I can.

I can't speak for others, but I just get burned out answering questions sometimes. It's not just the forums, but it is also the countless email and phone calls I get each week asking those same questions that can be found easily on care sheets, etc. I "went off" on this one young guy over there, and what people didn't realize was that he was emailing and calling me 4-5 times a day with the same crisis for over a week, and would not take any advise. When this starts happening, it's time for me to take a break.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
robin d.
i was just thinking.......

okgo ahead pic up your jaws i do think and have an idea or two from time to time...
anywho
what if here we could ask rich to place a FAQ page and caresheet page oat the top of this forum? i like some basic question and answer the things we see repeated quite often at the other site; as well as a caresheet link

now while i suggested it i am not a good writen and not so elequent with words soo it wouldnt be me but how about maybe a bunch of us meet up go over some of the beginer issures and make up a "floor plan" and then an elequesnt writer like kelli,marcia or justyn type it up
???? maybe??? and we can see if we can rich to put it up and put the link at the top of the page??

Old 04-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
rinoa0587
yeah i understand

thats just nuts, unfortunatly some people just don't get it. the thing about the care sheets is that sometimes people would rather give the exact thing going on with their gecko instead of reading on general terms, ya know just in case. but at least people like you are trying their best to help others but in terms of getting better information i do like this forum better. if only kingsnakes was more closely moderated.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
E2MacPets
I found 'are you hot' to be a welcome change over on ks and a marked improvement in spirits. But I'm still young enough to enjoy the eyecandy without feeling dirty.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!