Gecko sounds & their meanings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Geckogardener
Question Gecko sounds & their meanings

I have seen very little written about the sounds that leos make. My patternless is very friendly, and makes a variety of soft sounds when I hold her. There's a clicking sort of noise, a chirp, and once, when I startled her she sort of squeaked. Except for the squeak, the sounds don't seem to indicate any sort of annoyance or stress. Does anyone know what gecko vocalizations mean? It seems like she's telling me something, but I just don't speak the language, LOL

Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
snowgyre
My girls click at me when I pick them up when they're either very gravid or very full. I think it's more of an "augh, I'm too fat too move, leave me alone!" sorta annoyed click.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
BluGnat
I've only the baby shriek, and I took that as an "We're WAY bigger than we look, and anyone who gets close to us will be sorry!" They're so cute when they do that, though I try to avoid it...

Old 04-15-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
A_Kendergirl
Some of mine will grunt when they aren't happy about being picked up. I can feel it much more than I can hear it because it makes their whole chest rumble. Ignore the rumbles and clicking, and you're bound to get bit.

Then there's the baby scream and hiss...which sound much more like a squeaky door and a tire going flat than something you're suppose to be afraid of. That one is pretty obvious...it's ment to startle and warn off something that thinks a baby gecko would make a fine meal...me, I just laugh and eat them anyway! (Did I just say that?)

I find watching body language can tell you much more about the mood of your gecko then listening for those rare sounds. The body language is much more involved and much more expressive...you'd need a new thread for that.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
dragonflame
Mine make a soft "putt" noise when I have to hold them still, (hand feeding, medications, etc.) One of my patternless females squealed when I sprayed her w/water (accident!)

Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
gothra
One of my leo will make a "beep" sound when he wakes up and stretch in the evening, very loud squeak, I can even hear him when I'm watching TV in another room. I also have a grumpy leo that whenever he's not happy with something (e.g being picked up), he'll "grrrr....." and then wiggle and jump off, so I need to put him back very quickly as soon as I hear that.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
LeosForLess
When my giant female crawls over my hand she does a grunt/growl noise, kind of like shes working hard to crawl over my hand.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Geckogardener
This is fascinating. I had no idea there was such a variety of sounds that they could make. It seems as though there is a wide range of meanings depending on the situation and the individual gecko. I guess I'll try to pay more attention to their body language to decipher what they are trying to say!
Thanks for all of your replies!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
The NY Gecko
Mine will all make this little squeaks and clicks. I just ignore them and try to be slower and calmer. My little female though. Whew! I was spraying them down one eveing and she didnt hiss, she didnt screech, she SCREAMED. I mean this scared the bujeebuhs outta me. It was almost cat like.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Gregg M
Most of these sounds are usually related to being stressed somehow.... Screams and squeaks are without a doubt defensive..... Like most reptiles, leos have their warning noises as well as body posture.... They do not pur like kittens when they are happy and do not use cute little noises to show their approval.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!