what if - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
dragonss
what if

I have a question for anyone I live in oregon bend it's getting cold and we have some nasy weather... If (hopfully never) the power go's out and say if it go's out for a few days and transfering my dragon (kumu) to some one else house is not a option what can i do for light and heat for the few days it's out... My parents ( who i live with) have a pellet stove and has a back up battier but my lizard cage is a 60 gallon glass tank and im really not sure if thats gunna help or not... I though maybe a flash light (my spot light flash light) and a hand warmer heat pad u buy at the store stuffed in a hand made puoch made of jean????? could that work even for at least 4,6 hrs?
This has not happined but i was just thinking what if..
thanks

Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Cat_72
You can always put him into a smaller, temporary enclosure such as a rubbermaid tub temporarily, that can easily be set near enough to the pellet burner to keep him warm. Heat packs can be helpful as well, but I would think about stocking up on a few of the 40 or 60 hour packs, just in case....that's what I will be doing for my Iowa winter. But again, even with the heat packs, you will be wanting to put him into a smaller, lidded enclosure (with some ventilation, of course), as they just don't have the oomph to heat something as large as a 60 gallon glass tank.

In either case, unless you are certain you have PLENTY of batteries, I wouldn't personally worry about keeping a flashlight or any such artificial light on him too much while the power would be out, as long as he still has some natural daylight.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
dragonss
okey thanks good advise.. But i have a 11 inch dragon what type of rubermaid size would i need?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Cat_72
I would think that something like a 32 qt would be large enough for a couple of days....big enough for them to move around some, yet small enough to keep nice and warm. I would never keep them in something that small for any length of time, but in emergencies, it would be about right I would think.

Just look around at someplace like Target or Walmart for something that looks like it would be about that size.....something not too high (since heat rises ) but with enough "floor space" for them to move about a bit comfortably.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
deborahbroadus
Invest in a generator. I found some very nice once looking though ebay for less than 200.00 (leaving to find the link to buy one myself if it's still there.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!