not a "gluer"..but - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
riverjop
not a "gluer"..but

One of my females had eggs this morning and like the one the other day (wilma) she laid them on the stone instead of in her hide box (which is half filled with vermiculite). The eggs were stuck to the side of the bin and after spraying them lightly with water and very, very gently removing them with some difficulty I finally got them free, but like the previous eggs, one had a small hole in the bottom and they were both stuck to each other (still are) and both seemed not to look right (infertile)
SO! my questions are Do you think that the females know that they are carring infertile eggs? and just drop them where ever?
Has this happened to anyone else?
Is there a definate way to tell for sure if the eggs are infertile?
and has anyone hatched eggs that had been opened up with a small hole?

Old 04-13-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
robin d.
i have noticed that any eggs dropped outside the nest box are never fertile (this is my experience) sometimes i doi get infertiles in the nest box but most times they drop them somewhere else usually i notice the same place they poo

Old 04-13-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Xavier
I'd cover the whole with one of those liquid water proof band ades

Old 04-16-2004, 11:57 PM   #4
Missymonkey
I also found what looked to be an egg in the "poo pile" in my leo tank. It had a hole in it and by the time I noticed it (thought it was poo) it had hollowed out and nothing was left inside.

Other than that egg the six ladies in that enclosure always lay in their moss box. I sugguest that you use spaghnum moss, my leos at least seem to prefer it over vermiculite. I think it's more natural. But that's just my experiance.

The ladies may know that they are carrying fertile eggs, but then again I don't speak geckoish so I wouldn't know. At least they seem to know what to do with the fertile eggs.

Old 04-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
robin d.
i totally agree!!! its like they seem to know what are and arent fertile who? i have no clue... and spagnum moss is great stuff!!!!!!!!! not as sticky as vermiculite... i do use vermiculite for my incubation medium tho

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!