Bad Guy Ty Park I Think We should Reconsider his Rep - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Jasmine88
Angry Ty Park I Think We should Reconsider his Rep

Ty Park has an ad up, right now, for Russian tortoises, 4-5" for $55 plus shipping. It arrived on time, with a severe case of mouth rot. I am simply going to post all of our e-mails back and forth and let you decide. Myself, I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. He still has his ad up.

Maybe some, maybe most people are going to think this is my fault, that I should have sent him back. But, Park selling an animal with mouth rot to me, as a former breeder and seller of Sri Lankans, is pretty unforgiveable.

Then, no apology, no compassion for a customer who doesn't want to abandon an animal, I'm not accustomed to doing that. Once he's out of my hands, he could be euthanized. It was shipped to me like this, so its welfare is my business, in my opinion. Park didn't care about the fact that I have to travel 50 miles (round trip) to ship him back, either. To me, this is the worst attitude a dealer or anyone could have. When I sold hatchlings for ten years, I made sure customers were completely satisfied. I can't see doing it any other way.

I tried to send the e-mails in an attachment, it didn't work. I don't think any are missing, (Except the initial ones where we talked about shipping), but for some reason this wasn't easy. I ended up posting all of my e-mails first, then Parks. I hope you can make sense of them.
Deb Thomas

Re: Deborah Thomas sent you 90.00 USD
Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

Ty Park

Hello, the RT arrived today on time. He has mouth rot. If I'd known I was going to have to take him to the vet, I would have paid $200 for a CBB baby. I don't even know if he is going to survive. This is the first time I've ever recieved an ill tortoise. What are you going to do about this?

Deb T
To: Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:51 AM

Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

Ty Park

What will happen to him? Will you treat him?

Deb T
Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

Ty Park

Ok, I'll send him back. I'm not used to turning away an animal because it's ill. you wouldn't consider paying for a vet visit if I send you photos?

Deb T

Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

Ty Park

I guess I'd better send him back, I have no idea how many vet visits it will take.
How will the label come, over the computer? Is it something I have to print out?

Deb T

Show Details

Re: Ill Tortoise
Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

sapph8888@yahoo.com

Hello TY,
I've decided that I can't in good conscience return the tortoise to you. I am worried that,
because this is an inexpensive tortoise, your vet may decide that it is not worth the lengthy
treatment that it most likely will require. I don't want him to be destroyed. I raised and
bred Sri Lankan star tortoises, among others, for over 15 years and I love them. This
tortoise appears rather old and in addition to the extensive mouth rot, likely has parasites
and possibly other issues. I would understand why a dealer wouldn't want to waste his
money on a single, very ill animal.
I want to bring him to my vet for anti-biotics, I have all the rest of the supplies needed
to treat him. I will send you photos of the vet reciept and of the tortoises mouth. I am
asking, though, that you pleases refund my money. This is traumatic for me, to see an
animal in this condition, but I want to help it.
Before I purchased him from you, I looked up your ratings on the Faunaclassifieds
BOI and saw that you had an excellent reputation. For that reason, I'm hoping that you
will make me, your customer, happy by accepting my request for a refund.
If you do, which will make this whole situation much easier for me and less upsetting, as
I won't be worried about the tortoise and would rather care for him and cure him rather
than rejecting him, I would see no reason not to give you another excellent rating, because it would cause me to believe that you had no idea this animal was ill when you acquired him or
shipped him to me.
Please believe that I am requesting this refund instead of returning the tortoise because
of my love for tortoises and not to make things difficult for you.

I am taking the tortoise to my vet this morning, I would appreciate it if you would refund
my money as soon as possible, because I'm sure I most likely will not have enough to
cover the vet visit and the medicine, both. Once our transaction is done and I've gotten
my refund, I will not bother you about this tortoise, regardless if it survives or not. It
would be out of your hands at that point and my responsibility alone.

Deb T

Deb T
Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

Ty

I don't have a choice? I paid $90 for an ill tortoise, now I have to travel 50 miles to return him,
which will make me feel guilty, not helping him and I have no choice in the matter? When I
sold hatchlings all of my customers were completely satisfied, but if this had happened to me,
one of my tortoises was sent with mouth rot, I would have APOLOGIZED, and done whatever
would make the customer happy. You act like this is "business as usual" for you. Do you think if
that if I report on the BOI that you sold me a tortoise with mouth rot, customers will be lining up
at your door to buy russian tortoises? Whether you knew it had mouth rot when you sent it, or don't
have any idea regarding the condition of the animals that you buy and sell, it looks pretty bad in
regards to your knowledge of the animals that you deal. This situation is why many people choose
to deal with breeders, not dealers. Too many dealers don't seem to care about the animals. Not
impressive to customers. And I notice that you still have your ad up, though I believe anyone,
including me, would believe that this tortoise with mouth rot was in contact with all your other
Russians. You may not think that I have a choice, but you do, get a complaint and a report that
you sell sick tortoises on the BOI, and refuse to make it right, or give me my refund and I'll send you documentation of the tortoises illness. THAT is fair, the customer shouldn't be forced to deal with
this mess.
Deb T

Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

Ty Park

Ty, I'm 54 years old, I was not born yesterday. Most breeders do not waste time treating low-end
animals who need intensive care, you are a dealer. Millions of dogs and cats are euthanized every
year by people who dearly love animals, but you want me to believe that you would adamantly refuse
to euthanize a common russian tortoise, when you make huge profits selling so many animals. This baffles me. You offered to send $10,000 to any legitimate charity for a customer if he proved he was
telling the truth. You could afford to do that, but you won't do this simple thing, to do the right
thing, the kind thing?

Deb T
Show Details

From

Deb Thomas

To

Ty Park

I can only go by your attitude toward me regarding this problem, beginning with your very
first e-mail. If you were polite and apologetic, I might believe you when you say you'd
treat him. I simply do not trust you and at this point, I'd rather post about the whole
situation on the BOI rather than get my money back.

Dealers and breeders alike are judged not by
how the transaction goes when everything goes smoothly, but by how the seller behaves toward
the customer when things go wrong through no fault of the customer. You seem to think there
is nothing wrong with inconveniencing me, making me feel terrible about a seriously ill tortoise who,
so far, has shown no interest in eating and, according to what I know about this disease, is in
quite a lot of pain, which is most likely why it shows no interest in eating. You haven't the slightest
understanding of people like me who feel bad about rejecting an animal who is in dire need of
help. Is it all about profit? You don't need to answer that. And I'm sure that you can "talk to your
employee" without my tortoise being present.

You cannot even be bothered with an apology. You couldn't be any more arrogant. If you think your reputation isn't worth $90 and an apology, I think people need to know what you think of your customers and how little you know about the animals you're sending out. Why is your ad for the Russians still up, do you keep each one isolated in its own cage. You obviously do not have
them vet checked when you recieve them. God.

Enjoy spending the $90, I'll be at the vet spending God knows what.

Hide Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

I will refund the money as soon as I have him back. We have no kill policy here at the farm and he will be treated because we have a vet on monthly retainer. He won't cost us any extra to treat.

Ty

Sent from my iPad

Deb T
To: Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:12 AM
Subject: Re: Deborah Thomas sent you 90.00 USD

You act like you are a savior, better than me! The right thing and the kind thing for you to do is to return him so that we can take care of him here. I have a legitimate farm here and I am not like most breeders or "dealer" like you are implying.

Ty

Sent from my iPad

Hide Details

From

Ty Park
On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hide Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

I will send FedEx to pick him up. If you wish you can post on BOI if you want.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hide Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

You have not sent any evidence that this tortoise is sick and yet you want me to refund you money? I am being very fair in having him shipped back without any cost to you. I also want him back so that it will be a good lesson for my employee who pick him so that I can show him again what she needs to look for.

Ty

Sent from my iPad

Hide Details

From

Ty

To

Deb Thomas

You do not have a choice in the matter. I have a very good vet. You will have to return him today.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com> wrote:

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

The right thing to do in this case is for you to return the tortoise to me so that I can give him the right treatment. Please return him so that I can give him the right treatment. I also want to see him and have a meeting with my employee so that this wont happen again.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Message about: Russian Tortoise from sapph8888@yahoo.com
Show Details

From

Ty Park

To

sapph8888@yahoo.com

CC

lascolindsay@aol.com

I don't know...I can check for you.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 4, 2013, at 10:33 PM, dropbox@kingsnake.com wrote:

Show Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

I can do 35.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 4, 2013, at 10:52 PM, Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> Deb T

Show Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

Yes

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 5, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com> wrote:

$90 to typherp@aol.com

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 6, 2013, at 8:34 PM, Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com> wrote:

Show Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

Yes if you want to breed them. No if you are not breeding them.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 7, 2013, at 1:37 AM, Deb Thomas <sapph8888@yahoo.com> wrote:

Show Details

From

Ty

To

Deb Thomas

Yes but to Alaska there is no morning delivery. You should have by 5pm next day

Sent from my iPhone

Show Details
Show Details

From

Ty

To

Deb Thomas

So u want a male right?

Sent from my iPhone

Show Details

From

lascolindsay@aol.com

To

typherp@aol.com
sapph8888@yahoo.com

Yes, it shipped today via FedEx Priority Overnite Express
track number 5302 1796 5915 arrival tuesday
-----Original Message-----
To: lascolindsay <lascolindsay@aol.com>; Anna Wylie <lascoanna@gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, Jul 8, 2013 5:23 pm
Subject: Fwd: Deborah Thomas sent you 90.00 USD

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:
Show Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

CC

lascolindsay@aol.com
Anna Wylie

Please return him I will send a label in the morning.

Sent from my iPad

Show Details

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

Yes we have a vet on retainer.

Sent from my iPad

Show Details

From

Ty

To

Deb Thomas

No I have my own vet.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine88 View Post

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

You have not sent any evidence that this tortoise is sick and yet you want me to refund you money? I am being very fair in having him shipped back without any cost to you. I also want him back so that it will be a good lesson for my employee who pick him so that I can show him again what she needs to look for.

Ty

Sent from my iPad

The seller should not have sent out a tortoise with mouth rot and I'm sorry you had to deal with receiving a critter like that. But he is offering to pay the shipping back, to refund you on his receipt of the critter, and to have it treated.
That sounds reasonable to me.

Quote:

From

Ty Park

To

Deb Thomas

I will refund the money as soon as I have him back. We have no kill policy here at the farm and he will be treated because we have a vet on monthly retainer. He won't cost us any extra to treat.

Ty

Sent from my iPad

Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
The seller should not have sent out a tortoise with mouth rot and I'm sorry you had to deal with receiving a critter like that. But he is offering to pay the shipping back, to refund you on his receipt of the critter, and to have it treated.
That sounds reasonable to me.
Sounds reasonable to me too.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
hhmoore
You may be unhappy; but there is no getting around the fact that the seller offered to do the right thing - take the animal back, and give you a full refund.
Your complaint about having to travel 50 miles to return the tortoise can be disregarded, IMO, because the seller told you he would have it picked up by FedEx.

That said, I can understand hesitancy to (return) ship a sick animal; but choosing to keep it lays the responsibility for treatment on you. The seller is not required to pay vet bills, or provide a refund, just because a buyer decides that he/she doesn't like the offered option of returning for a full refund.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Jasmine88
Mouth Rot RT

Honestly, I missed the part about offering Fedex to pick the tort up. Ty seemed so unconcerned about the tortoise, I can't give it up, I don't trust what would happen to it.

Because I knew I was going to keep him, I gathered all my first aid stuff together and tweezed the yellow gobs out of his mouth. I was so focused on treating him, I didn't have my husband take a photo when I had his mouth open, as I'd planned. So, I suppose my info isn't much good to anyone. I can tell you though, I knew my animals well enough, when I was a breeder, to know if they were sick and I never would have sent a sick animal. If it had happened, though, like it did with TY, I wouldn't have been so flippant, I'd have been mortified. And, if a customer told me they were a former breeder and they would treat it and take it to the vet, I'd be happy to let them and give them a refund and either pay the vet bills OR send them another healthy animal, letting them keep the original. It's just how I am, the animals come first, not the money. I'm flabbergasted over the concern about $90 when the tort is sick and can't get any benefit being shipped back and forth in the mail.
Anyway, I was able to get every bit of that yellow gunk that I could see and the tort doesn't even look stressed, so I'm really happy. I used betadine and I put a tiny bit of jumpstart in his mouth, maybe he won't need a vet visit, just some swabbing for a couple of weeks, though I am going to bring in a stool sample.

I do understand people thinking ty was reasonable taking the animal back, but I'm already attached to it. It just wasn't the way I wanted to go.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
AltitudeExotics
I completely agree, the seller offered to pay for return shipping (that alone is more than most breeders would do) and to refund your money. You refused to let that happen, so now its all on you. The seller tried to do the right thing and you literally would not let him because you "didn't trust him"? If you don't trust him to treat the animal and would rather treat it yourself, then you have the right to do so. That however gives you zero right to get your money back. This is how making a purchase works: You pick out an item (the tortoise), you pay for the item, you keep the item. If you choose to keep the item why would you not have to pay for it? If you bought a car and found out it had a broken axle would you demand a full refund plus be allow to keep the car so you could fix it yourself?

You should have never received an animal in this condition, but mistakes can happen, and Ty was more than willing to fix it. Other than that I see no reason for this post to exist.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Jasmine88
An item

See, it's just me, but the difference is that this is not an "item" and I believe in being compassionate, causing as little trauma as possible, for all concerned. If I'm dead wrong in everyones eyes, I still believe what I believe, I won't change, I couldn't.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
mxracer4life
Quote:
Honestly, I missed the part about offering Fedex to pick the tort up. Ty seemed so unconcerned about the tortoise, I can't give it up, I don't trust what would happen to it.

Because I knew I was going to keep him, I gathered all my first aid stuff together and tweezed the yellow gobs out of his mouth. I was so focused on treating him, I didn't have my husband take a photo when I had his mouth open, as I'd planned. So, I suppose my info isn't much good to anyone. I can tell you though, I knew my animals well enough, when I was a breeder, to know if they were sick and I never would have sent a sick animal. If it had happened, though, like it did with TY, I wouldn't have been so flippant, I'd have been mortified. And, if a customer told me they were a former breeder and they would treat it and take it to the vet, I'd be happy to let them and give them a refund and either pay the vet bills OR send them another healthy animal, letting them keep the original. It's just how I am, the animals come first, not the money. I'm flabbergasted over the concern about $90 when the tort is sick and can't get any benefit being shipped back and forth in the mail.
Anyway, I was able to get every bit of that yellow gunk that I could see and the tort doesn't even look stressed, so I'm really happy. I used betadine and I put a tiny bit of jumpstart in his mouth, maybe he won't need a vet visit, just some swabbing for a couple of weeks, though I am going to bring in a stool sample.

I do understand people thinking ty was reasonable taking the animal back, but I'm already attached to it. It just wasn't the way I wanted to go.
It is common practice for someone to refund for a mistake OR send a different animal, but NOT to pay for vet bills. I have been in this business for 15 years and you hardly ever see someone willing to do this. I can understand your worry about this whole situation and the health of the little one but none of this is reason to start a Bad Guy thread.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Could you do everyone one a small favor and point out the uncaring part in the emails you provided?

I would seriously like to see it. This is what I found when reading the emails twice.

Quote:
Quote:
The right thing and the kind thing for you to do is to return him so that we can take care of him here. I have a legitimate farm here and I am not like most breeders or "dealer" like you are implying.

Ty
Quote:
I will send FedEx to pick him up. If you wish you can post on BOI if you want.
Quote:

You do not have a choice in the matter. I have a very good vet. You will have to return him today.
Quote:
The right thing to do in this case is for you to return the tortoise to me so that I can give him the right treatment. Please return him so that I can give him the right treatment. I also want to see him and have a meeting with my employee so that this wont happen again.
Quote:
Please return him I will send a label in the morning.
Quote:
Yes we have a vet on retainer.
Quote:

No I have my own vet.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Redfeet
Has any proof even been shown the tort has mouth rot? I find it ironic this is thread was even presented without it???? Ty definetly has been more than reasonable considering what I have read.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!