Guests to this site - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
SmokyMtnReptiles
Arrow Guests to this site

Hello, Ive never noticed this before because I'm always logged in on this site...but if you are a guest you cant see anything, no pictures, no signatures, only google ads and the text in the ad itself

It seems to me that if everyone could see the ad's as they were placed, more people would respond to them...

example: click here while logged in :http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=98182

Then log out (top right) and go to the same ad "now its very boring!"

if you look there are always way more vistors here than members, and all they are seeing is text...thats very boring and makes this site look horrible to vistors. Why would they want to join? its not like other site where you see pictures of available animals...if the "vistors" knew that if they logged in they could see the pictures, would they ? I betcha

I bet that if everyone could see the ads with pictures, logged on or not. it would increase the sales this site generates for the sellers which would bring in more sellers and more money for everyone involved...correct?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Cat_72
I think it depends on how the seller adds the pictures. I stop in here during break time at work without logging in sometimes, and if the pics are added as an attachment to the ad, I can't see them, but if they are added as a Photobucket link or something similar, they still show up.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
WebSlave
OK, I did as you suggested. Now let's see what impact it has on the server when all those search engine spiders (which are unregistered guests) begin downloading those attachment files.............

Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
SmokyMtnReptiles
not logged in

Rich, I'm not trying to give ya a headache Sir I promise. If using photobucket is the answer I have no problem using it...I could even post the pictures on my site and host them here...my main concern is that when not logged in, you cant tell anyone apart from the rest. no number of posts, no feedback rating, no signature. just plain jane Im not sure how to keep the bad stuff out, but I know it would help if people could see those things when not logged in.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
WebSlave
My comment wasn't intended to be a slap. I originally set it that way to prevent attachment downloads for guests just for that very reason. This was an effort to try to speed up the system by reducing an unnecessary load on the server. This site is HEAVILY travelled by search engine spiders and they can have an impact on the resources the server allocates for this site. Having search engine spiders downloading attachments when they access posts for indexing can't help but to have some impact.

My first gut reaction to your request was to explain why I didn't want to grant your request. But I thought better of it and figured I would just see what happens instead.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
SmokyMtnReptiles
I do understand

Maybe Im reading your post wrong, the site is still the same as before. If you were giving me a example why that cant work, thats cool and I do understand, speed it very important...you dont have to change anything for me. But, log out and look at the classifieds section yourself...

Old 04-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
WebSlave
Well maybe it won't have that much of an impact.......... That's what we will have to see, I guess.......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!