What is a better choice of pythons...a JCP or Spotted? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
rsross1970
What is a better choice of pythons...a JCP or Spotted?

O.K. Here is where I stand on this. I have come down to two choices for a pet snake. One is a spotted python, because of the smaller size it gets and from what I've researched they seem to be a good choice. I have read where they are alittle nippy as a young snake. But I do like the way they keep their markings as they get bigger. The other choice I'm thinking of is a Jungle Carpet Python. I like these for the good temperment and they get really beautiful as they grow. If I go with one of these I would like to find a hi yellow color. The draw back I have found to these are they are a more expensive choice and finding a good specimen, & is kind of difficult because alot of what is advertised is really dark in color. What I have to start them out in is a 54 gallon aquarium. it is 2ft high by 20 inches deep (front to back) and atleast 2 ft across. I have made a custom background for it and made a perching area for the snake. In the pic I haven't added a water bowl yet but I will. What I will put the snake in later is a 125 gallon (72x18x24) where there is alot of room and the background is still being built. Please send me some feedback on this. Any input is welcome and if anyone knows some good breeders for either snakes, please let me know.One other choice I had thought of previously is a Brazilian ranbow boa. If I go this I would also add a humidifier for the enviroment.

-Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank set up 352.jpg (252.5 KB, 128 views)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Utta
Go with a carpet, spotted are fairly boring. Carpets do wash out and are nippy babies. But carpets are awesome. Mike curtin(sp) has great stock for great prices. Look him up in the classifieds

Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Payara
Hey Richard,
I personally like carpet pythons, I currently have a Bredli python, and out of all the snakes I have worked( and I have worked with a spotted) with he is my favorite. Very curious and really mellow, has not tried to bite me once. Jungles, from what I heard are somewhat more nippy as hatchlings but most grow out of it. But just remember each snake has it's own personality. If you want Hi Yellow Jungles, I'd recommend Python Central or Inland Reptiles.

I personally don't like aquariums. Currently my Bredli is in an aquarium and I'm trying to get him a new cage ASAP. My snake escaped the tank already, now I have over 30lbs on top the tank. I recommend getting a cage that has double doors in the front.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
jeremyk
Ya cant really go wrong ether way. Personally id go with a jcp ..if u get a jcp from a good line u don’t really need to worry about it darkening.. imo that’s a complete misconception.. But, with jcps u get what u pay for, know who ur getting it from ya cant beat a nice jcp

Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
jeffwyatt81
I agree with just about what everyone has said. The spotted's are pretty boring and the JCP's are much more out going and as far as Im concerned a much more fun and interesting animal to keep. As stated above about color washing, that all depends on the quality of the animal you purchase and the amount of money your willing to spend, "you get what you pay for" and spending a little more on an animal coming from high color lines will make you a much happier person in the long run. As far a aquariums go I don't mid using them, I actually have a few animals in aquariums right now and use to keep around 100 animals in aquariums at one time and in 20+ years of keeping reptiles I can happily say I have not had even 1 escape from an aquarium, yet I have had a couple escapes from rack systems in the past 5 years and I have 2 beardies that can work the sliding glass doors open on their vision cages so I have to keep the locks on them now. On all my aquariums I use readily available screen tops that are purchased from just about any pet shop and I use the screen top clips that are also purchased from pet stores though I like my background to cover 3 of the 4 sides to help the animal feel more secure and less open. I use 2 clips for 10ga 1 on each end, 4 clips on anything up to 3' long 1 on each side centered and anything over 3' I use 1 on each end and 2 evenly spaced on each long side. I have a friend that keeps 2 spectacled cobras each in 200+ gallon aquariums for years and never had a problem either. These are just mt opinions and I hope they give you a little more insight.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
red ink
I'm going to go against the grain and vote for the spotted perfect first snake, smaller and they do calm down JCPs are the same when young a little nippy. The main advantages of the spotteds would be the size and ease of feeding. Some jungles can be mousers their whole life not a problem when their young but a PIA when around 6 foot. Spotteds are more tolerant of husbandry needs as well.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
jeremyk
spotteds are a good choice as well.. out of the hundred or so jungles that iv produced.iv had maybe a handfull that got stuck on mice..i think thats another common misconception about jungles. It does happen. don’t get me wrong. But not as much as people make it seem. as for husbandry. I keep mine at normal humidity, 50%, temps hover around 84 degrees I drop it alittle in the winter. I keep em on news paper, paper towels or aspen give them a solid perch and ur done. 15 years and never a problem. I also keep my bredls, and IJ’s the same exact same way. Spotted or carpet.. ether way ya cant lose

Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
jeremyk
by the way...very nice spotted francis!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
red ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyk View Post
by the way...very nice spotted francis!
Cheers mate

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!