Coldbloods - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #81
jnjreptile
Sick freaks, selling frozen leos

They are worst than before, now they are selling frozen leopard gecko's . 4''-7'' leopard gecko's $2.99 ea. Frozen feeder gecko's and anoles are bad enough but frozen leopard gecko's are over the line. This guy needs to be stopped!!!!.

I have the email he sent us and will send it to anyone who can post it as I am not sure how.

Thanks Josh

Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #82
Chameleon Company
Josh,
I am not quite yet disagreeing with your opinion, as I do not understand this part:
Quote:
Frozen feeder gecko's and anoles are bad enough but frozen leopard gecko's are over the line. This guy needs to be stopped!!!!.
What I don't see in my own experience is a distinction between animals being sold frozen as feeders, whether it be mice, lizard species harvested as such (which happens a lot here in FL with the anoles and various geckos) providing its legal, DOA things, such as snakes for King Cobra food, etc. BTW, from what little I know of Cold Bloods, nothing impressed me. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #83
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjreptile
Frozen feeder gecko's and anoles are bad enough but frozen leopard gecko's are over the line. This guy needs to be stopped!!!!
Could someone please explain what this line is, where it is drawn, and why?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #84
kmurphy
Since leopard geckos are more valuable alive I assume they weren't sacrificed for the pet food market. Some unsuspecting person is going to feed them to their snake/lizard and could possibly be introducing a serious problem.

I know you're always taking this chance with frozen reptiles but at least anoles, and the other cheap lizards, may not have dead of disease/starvation etc.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #85
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
Could someone please explain what this line is, where it is drawn, and why?
I can see a good debate stemming from this question. It is a very good one too, but we each have the invisible line that is not exactly in perfect connection with another person. I can see it as an okay thing if they are raised as feeders, but if they are no feeders that died from unknown(or known) causes like sickness, then I see a problem.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #86
Milwaukee Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Since leopard geckos are more valuable alive I assume they weren't sacrificed for the pet food market. Some unsuspecting person is going to feed them to their snake/lizard and could possibly be introducing a serious problem.

I know you're always taking this chance with frozen reptiles but at least anoles, and the other cheap lizards, may not have dead of disease/starvation etc.
I think the line is in the intention. If the animals were raised to be feeders, fine. But knowing the value of leopard geckos (the fact that alive they are worth at a minimum 10X-100X what they are worth dead), I would say that this is not the case. But as mentioned, they were probably* not intended to be feeders, so what is the reason that they were put down and sacraficed to sell for 1/20th the price? Disease, sickness, just poor care? That's the part that scares me.

Note: I say probably because we really have no way of knowing what the intention was.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:58 AM   #87
A_Kendergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Reptiles
I think the line is in the intention. If the animals were raised to be feeders, fine. But knowing the value of leopard geckos (the fact that alive they are worth at a minimum 10X-100X what they are worth dead), I would say that this is not the case. But as mentioned, they were probably* not intended to be feeders, so what is the reason that they were put down and sacraficed to sell for 1/20th the price? Disease, sickness, just poor care? That's the part that scares me.

Note: I say probably because we really have no way of knowing what the intention was.

My thoughts exactly. I think you did a better job explaining it than I could.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #88
ravensgait
It's hard to judge intentions especially when you don't know what their intentions are. Seems to be a whole lot of people in this world who would be upset by killing any animal to feed to another why give them any help.

Yeah can't say as I'm impressed by them but then that is just my opinion as I've never done business with them.Randy

Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #89
Serpwidgets
Mice are also worth more alive than frozen... so is pretty much anything if you are selling it on the right market.

Given the selling of frozen, and also selling eggs, it sounds to me like he's producing way more than he's able to sell, and is looking for alternative ways to "get rid of" his excess production.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #90
kmurphy
Quote:
Mice are also worth more alive than frozen... so is pretty much anything if you are selling it on the right market.
This not quite true. A feeder mouse, live or frozen, will be relatively the same price. It's true you get a discount on quantities of frozen mice from a wholesaler but it is a quantity discount and not based on the fact they are frozen. Per shops do not differentiate when you purchase 1 or 2 mice at a time.
I am not a gecko guy but I think Leopard Geckos go for 20-30 bucks??? That's a lot for a feeder. What if you saw frozen baby super-salmon boas sold as feeders, would that raise an eyebrow?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!