Leopard gecko broken tail please offer some advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
inignot557
Leopard gecko broken tail please offer some advice

I set my leo on a dresser and she leaped off and now her tail is crooked in two places and she appears to be in pain when touched there. Can the vet help her or can it just not be helped? I am also short on money so being able to afford a vet bill would be difficult.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
Junkyard
Having no money for a vet, there is really nothing you can do but let her heal on her own. Take this as a lesson to start a "vet bill" savings account, if you plan on owning pets, you also need to plan on being able to pay for their medical expenses. If you can scrounge up money, sell some stuff and get her to a vet, I am not sure what they can do for her. They may be able to reset the tail, at this point it is probably too late to do so, either way do all that you can for her.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by inignot557
I set my leo on a dresser and she leaped off and now her tail is crooked in two places and she appears to be in pain when touched there. Can the vet help her or can it just not be helped? I am also short on money so being able to afford a vet bill would be difficult.
best thing to do is nothing.

let it heal on its own... reptiles have an amazing ability to heal.

give it time and within a few months its tail will have healed completely!!!

but ask yourself this... ?!?

1) have you noticed any redness or swelling?

2) any black tissue?

3) can the gecko walk normally?

4) is it eating and deficating?

if you answered no to 1 and 2... and yes for 3 and 4 your golden... but keep an eye out and make sure it is eating and deficating.... any sign of rotten tissue and the tail may need to come off.

hope it works out...

Old 03-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
inignot557
Thanks for the advice both of you, nothing abnormal except the bent tail..so I suppose i'm good for the time being.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by inignot557
Thanks for the advice both of you, nothing abnormal except the bent tail..so I suppose i'm good for the time being.
the only thing you need to be worried about as far as a deformity is the loss of blood supply.

if the tail is bent in such a way that it obstructs blood supply it will be a big problem.... i suggest being very observant. if you notice any signs of dead tissue then it might need an amputation.

BUT, if the injury is somewhat old and no problems have manifested then i would say your good to go!

give the gecko an extra fat meal worm and call it a day!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!