Help with Storage Python rescue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
allreptiles1966
Help with Storage Python rescue

My buddy calls me this morning and tells me his friend finds a python (ball) they think,at a storage facility. Well it's not a heated facility. The guy was told to throw it into the weeds by the facility owner. So he does. . My buddy tells me this and knows I'm into boas,I tell him to go see if they can find. My buddy goes back(his storage is there also) and looks for an hr now. They found it and are bringing it to me.
I do not know if it came from the storage place,or it wandered into this. It's small at about 2-3' they said. He also says it looks like it has eaten something? But,it's not in my hands yet.

I would like some info on maintaining and what to look for in it being in need of help. I know what sick boa signs look like,just not sure if they are the same. My quarantine room is empty. I have all types of caging and heat.

What should I do?

Thank you
Rich
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
bcr229
If he's super-cold warm him gradually, don't just throw him onto the hot spot.

I normally run my BP's at 80-92*F, I would take him up to belly heat of 94*F for a bit to help him pre-emptively ward anything off, in case he was cold for a while.

Signs of sick/RI are basically the same: bubbles/mucous, open mouth breathing, stargazing, wheezing, etc.

Thanks for taking him in.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Reptile Frenzy
Make sure to keep him away from your boa also. Best in another room just in case he is sick. Be sanitary also by washing hand or wearing gloves and then washing hands after...

Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
If he's super-cold warm him gradually, don't just throw him onto the hot spot.

I normally run my BP's at 80-92*F, I would take him up to belly heat of 94*F for a bit to help him pre-emptively ward anything off, in case he was cold for a while.

Signs of sick/RI are basically the same: bubbles/mucous, open mouth breathing, stargazing, wheezing, etc.

Thanks for taking him in.
How long of a period of warming up? Could I just put him in an 80 degree cage for a day or two,then give him a hot spot? He will have a 40 watt rhp and heat tape on opposite side.

I know he is cold. It didn't move far when the guy put him into the weeds. I guess just a couple feet. I just don't get people with their care of animals!

I could never leave an animal in need like that. That's why I can't be a city dweller,I'd have cats and dogs galore. Lol. It's my pleasure to try and do right by this little guy. Or girl. I'll post pics when I get it. I just hope it's not too late.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Frenzy View Post
Make sure to keep him away from your boa also. Best in another room just in case he is sick. Be sanitary also by washing hand or wearing gloves and then washing hands after...
I'm very good at quarantine practice! I would never let it into my boa room. Way too many boas to put into jeopardy.
Thanks for the info.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Reptile Frenzy
Good! Glad your stepping up to take this snake in Rich!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Frenzy View Post
Good! Glad your stepping up to take this snake in Rich!
I'm a good ole reptile lover. I'll do everything I can for it. We as breeders must step up and do these things. I'm sure a person put it into this situation.
Thanks man.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Reptile Frenzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
I'm a good ole reptile lover. I'll do everything I can for it. We as breeders must step up and do these things. I'm sure a person put it into this situation.
Thanks man.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
How long of a period of warming up? Could I just put him in an 80 degree cage for a day or two,then give him a hot spot? He will have a 40 watt rhp and heat tape on opposite side.
Honestly I'm just going by what I remember from someone who had a shipped snake arrive cold, he put it in a room-temp enclosure for an hour or so, then slowly raised the heat 1-2 degrees each hour until it was in the correct range.

Quote:
I know he is cold. It didn't move far when the guy put him into the weeds. I guess just a couple feet. I just don't get people with their care of animals!
Yeah some people just need to be !

Old 10-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
allreptiles1966

Ok,the BP is here. What a totally friendly guy/girl. My first one too.

No mites,no ri at the moment,looks to have shed not long ago. Heat outs are clear and to be honest,not a bad snake! Very surprised it's not snappy. My buddy says it was friendly from as soon as it was found. I'd run an ad,but you know how that would go. and I don't think the owner deserves it back.

Another pic. He seems to have a little head wobble to it. Is this common in BP?
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!