*** A word to the wise, I was ripped off*** - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
jnemani
On June 28th I sent $3865 to Jason Vantassel, via Pay Pal for 1 adult albino male boa, 1 adult anerythristic boa female and 1 adult hype boa female. spam_After many failed attempts to ship successfully through the airlines and then through Airborne and sorry excuses he agreed on Monday 7/8/02 to give my money back prior to anything being shipped or scheduled to ship. spam_On 7/9/02 I received an email with an airbill number from jason with no details. spam_Was this a refund check or did he send the animals even though we cancelled it the day before? spam_I don't know because he would not return my call until Wednesday 7/10/02 a box from airborne shows up and it contains 2 TELEPHONE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!! No snakes and no money. spam_This is the guy that advertised double hets for snow for about 2 months for $1065 shipped and then later in June for $965 shipped. spam_If you bought animals from him please email me. spam_I furiously spoke with him on the day the package arrived and he assured me a full refund would be in my account in 4 days and he "claims" he started the refund on the 9th the night he agreed to refund my money. spam_No money yet today. spam_I filed a claim with Pay Pal on the night I received the phone books. spam_I filed an official Internet Fraud complaint with the FBI and when that complaint gets emailed back to me I will forward it to Kingsnake.com so they can start their investigation. spam_I have contacted a lawyer and we are going to wait until tonight and then we will contact local authorities in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. (He actually lives in Hollywood FL). spam_He has since stopped corresponding with me and therefore I have no choice but to pursue this mail fraud felony matter through any legal channels available to me. spam_If you have any suggestions or have had any contact with Jason I would appreciate an email. spam_He sold or traded 21 of those offspring to individuals off of Kingsnake so please speak up. spam_I want to verify what the shipper information says on your airborne packages if you still have them. spam_His email address is snowboa@bellsouth.net. spam_Thanks for your time. spam_If he returns the money I'll let everyone know.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
jnemani
Sorry about the full name thing.  The long post about being ripped off is by Jeff Nemanius.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:20 PM   #3
Casey Hulse
WOW... How many people bought his double hets??? You need to get in touch with them and possibly file a class action against him, because if he does not have the adults... then where did the hets come from....??? Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:26 PM   #4
napavalleysnakes
Jeff - What you are describing has to be one of the most blatant ripoffs I've read on this board. spam_ Are you serious that phone books were mailed to you? spam_That's not just taking your money, but rubbing your nose in it also.. Please keep us apprised of the situation. spam_ This post really drives home why this board is so important!

Stephen Emerick
Napa Valley Snakes

Old 07-12-2002, 05:33 PM   #5
jnemani
I am not joking about this, I received 2 Fort Lauderdale phone books, 1 white pages and 1 yellow pages.  I also just received another email from someone that sent him $3k for the same animals and has not received a thing.  This is huge.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:34 PM   #6
EMERALDGUY33
Thank you for the heads up, Jeff. I wish you the best of luck in recovering your money. Can you post all known contact info regarding this person? Name, phone number, address, any references he provided. Stuff like that. Keep those phone books handy. Maybe one day a judge can use them to throw at him.

Old 07-12-2002, 06:06 PM   #7
napavalleysnakes
All I can say is this has the makings of a real disaster for many unsuspecting customers of this guys.  If he would have the gall to ship phonebooks to a potential customer, well I'd have to echo Casey's sentiments on whether the hets he was selling were the real thing or not.. This post just went up, and already we're hearing about 7 grand being collected for snakes never delivered!  Pretty disgusting situation...

Stephen Emerick
Napa Valley Snakes

Old 07-12-2002, 06:16 PM   #8
Odd Ball Exotics
At least he was kind enough to send you the phone books of the local area so you have all the police and government numbers right there.  I really hope you catch this guy.

Old 07-12-2002, 06:18 PM   #9
franklinedwards60
This guy is defiantley looking at a felony charge!  How far away is he from you?  If not far I would most definatley pay him a visit.  Maybe have the local police in his area go with you.  I hope the best for you.

Franklin Edwards

Old 07-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #10
WebSlave
The shipping of junk in a box is an age old scam used in those cases where the items are being sent C.O.D.  Bricks are often used where the item the 'customer' is expecting should have some weight to it.  UPS or whatever delivers the package and will not allow you to open it until you have paid for it (in most cases).  So you hand the driver the money, he hands you the box, and he drives off while you go to open it up.  Once you find the bricks inside, it is your word against the shipper's as to what was actually in the box.

I had someone send me an expensive camera lens C.O.D. via UPS, and what I did was to pay via VERY small bills.  I had counted it out before hand, and handed the wad of bills to the driver. While the driver was counting out the money, I opened the box right there in case there were a problem so he would be a witness.  Of course, I understand that UPS no longer accepts cash, so I will have to think of something new.  Of course, my UPS driver and I always chew the fat when he delivers stuff, so I'm sure he would be glad to hang around while I opened the box in front of him.

This does bring up an interesting point about this sort of thing.  It may be wise to have a witness present when you open up your boxes.  Otherwise you will really have no proof about what you got in the box.  Jeff, if this guy Jason claims there were actually snakes in that box, do YOU have proof that there were not?  This could get rather messy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!