Stupid question. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Leighanne
Stupid question.

Out of all my Rescues I have one I descriptively call bad eye sight girl. Its beyond bad hunting. I believe she was Breed and then put Vitamin and Calcium Deficiency on top of that. She can still hunt and is coming along nicely but I wanted to give her a little boost. I bought two Pinkies and feed her one last week which I didn't get to watch her eat and one this week and then thats it because I don't want her getting hooked or anything. I don't actually know if they do get hooked to Pinkies? Which leads me to my stupid question. She swallowed the Mouse whole!!! *Sorry, first time feeding and watching a Leo eat a Pinkie.* She looked like a freaking Snake, it was pretty cool, but was she supposed to chew? lol

Old 04-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
1Bob
Nope that's normal. Some of my girls chew but never break the skin. The pinkies are sometimes alive as they go down. I've even had a squeek or two well after the pinkie was completely swallowed. Which always makes me a bit sad for the pinkie. I also have a male that will strike so hard they die pretty much instantly. I've had very little luck using frozen thawed with leos.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
BalloonzForU
Bob is correct they swallow them whole. I would only give her one a month at most, and only from Feb to Sept. After that she may not be able to digest them as well if she happens to burmate over the winter.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Leighanne
Wow, Thanks for the info guys. Glad to hear I'm in the right months. They were frozen thawed with some calcium on their heads because the only way I could get her to take it was by putting it in the Meal Worm dish with Meal Worms. She would think shes stricking at a Meal Worm and then grab a part of the Pinkie and down it went. Thats all the Pinkies I'm giving her to. I just wanted to boost her weight a little.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
BalloonzForU
That's good. I don't usually feed pinkies to my leos unless they are laying females. But as a boost it's not that bad. I may feed some to others as treats, but that's usually only twice a year.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Leighanne
Yeah, I don't do it either, obviously, lol. She is a Rescue though and was a bit to skinny for me. I feel better though and hopefully her to! I've got to get her chunky enough to ship. She is coming along nicely though so I think she'll be ok. God I can't wait for my Scale to get here finally!

Old 04-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
420Geckos
Best of luck!

Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
geckogrl6
Glad to hear it. My girls love pinkies, but only occasionally. How are the rest of them doing?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 AM   #9
Leighanne
The rest of them have bounced back really great. I have a baby girl thats still to small for my liking but other then that good. Its been three weeks since No Toes prolapse and no weird discharges or poohs and still eating like hes never going to see another Cricket again! They all eat really great like that. I have some cell phone pics of the two MBD girls coming if my friend can get off his bum and send them to me. lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!