any info on beard dragon being venomous - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
will11780
any info on beard dragon being venomous

I tryin to find out more info on the bearded dragon venom i know its so weak it doesnt do anything but i just want to find out more about it and since there are so many more that been keepin and caring for beardies longer than i have was wanting to get your input on it

Old 10-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Sushi Dragons
I have read articles outlining "venom" studies in bearded dragons. In my opinion it's bunk. A dragon bite is no more toxic than a cat scratch. Sure, some people react more strongly than others, but the worst case scenario is a bit of swelling from what I've read.

Even if I believed they had true venom glands that secreted a toxic punch, you still have to get bitten first. In my years of working with dragons I have yet to get bitten. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Ed Clark
Bearded Dragons have Crotamine in their saliva, it mimics myotoxin, this compound is found in some rattle snake venom and causes death of muscle cells. It is in a diluted form and must be chewed into the prey so human have nothing to worry about.

There are some bearded dragons that will bite, some will try to bluff you. they are hard biters. I know first hand having been bitten a few times over the many years I have kept them. had a dragon tear a chunk of skin off a finger once that had to be sewed back on.

Generally they are very calm and make good pet's.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
will11780
I know its not a strong venom it just peaked my interest to find out these friendly guys have it i have been bit by a few of mine my fault of course by having food on the end of my finger and they get the food and me and when they break the skin it swell a little and hurts more than it should mostly i thought it was cuz im diabetic and the bacteria was having a different affect on me but hearing bout the weak venom there carry makes sense also

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!