Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
David_Means
Could owning a reptile become illegal in Virginia?

http://wtvr.com/2012/09/19/could-own...l-in-virginia/

Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
David_Means
The Dangerous Animal Initiative will hold a public meeting in mid-late October. It is very important that anyone in Virginia that owns a reptile and wishes to continue owning any reptile be at that meeting. The workgroup is looking at what factors may make exotic/wild animals "dangerous", and not just to humans, but to Virginia. They will be looking at how these animals can harm humans directly (bite, crush, constrict, other) but also indirectly (disease, parasites, other). They will also be looking at how these animals can harm the ecosystem and agriculture in Virginia directly (invasive, other) and indirectly (disease, parasites, other). What will this mean to reptile keepers? All reptiles will be considered, not just venomous and large constrictors. What will this mean to other exotic/wild animal keepers? Any non-domesticated animal may be considered (non-domesticated: any animal other than domesticated dogs, cats, and agricultural animals). This could mean some birds, aquarium fish, invertebrates, amphibians, small and large mammals could be restricted or banned. I've already heard though some of my contacts that the animal rights groups will have a great number of people attending the public meeting, we need to be sure that our numbers are far greater. We have a chance to stop this before it gets to the next legislative session. As soon as the date is posted, I'll update everyone.
I'm hoping to find volunteers all over Virginia to help with carpooling, so that people without rides or don't want to make the drive alone will more easily be able to attend the public meeting. I'm also looking for volunteers to be liaisons, speakers and leaders, as well as volunteers to assist with origination, coming up with talking points, and spreading the word. If you would like to help, need more information, or want email updates, please email me at: virginiaexoticban@gmail.com

Thanks, David Means

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!