hogg island ? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #11
Bill & Amy
Wow, new guy asks a simple question and everybody acts like he was trying to sell the snake to you as a pure. He just wanted to know if other people thought it was a fair trade, not if you thought albino hoggs were a good idea. Nobody bothered to ask if it was just for a pet.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 AM   #12
richie671
thank you bill & amy.
i was not tyring to sale her at all,i just traded her and i wanted to know if i got a good deal..
well now i know i didn't get a good deal and it's cool it's not her fault.
she will still be apart of my family.thank you to everyone
she dose look good and i will post pics of her soon when i get a better cam.
but i won't sale her or breed her so no-one will make a mistake of asking a question again.sorry again to everyone i offended won't happen again.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie671
well i'm sorry if i pissed some people off about just asking a question.
but isn't this what the forum is for?
i didn't cross them my self but i did want her because of how she looked..
and to me NO REPTILE IS JUNK OR NOT WORTH HAVING DUE TO NOT BEING A PURE BREED ITS NOT THE REPTILE'S FAULT.i love all my reptiles
and sorry to everyone i made mad or pissed off i didn't mean to offend you in anyway.
Of course that is what the forum is for, lol. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I wasn't even a little pi$$ed or offended. My initial comment was that I agreed with Clay on both counts...I only expanded on those thoughts because the finger pointed to me (if you don't understand that statement, go back and reread the thread. I'm sure it will become clear)
We all understand that it isn't the reptiles fault it isn't pure...but YOU asked our opinion of the value of the snake. I'm sorry if you were disappointed by the response, but no rule says that if you solicit opinions, people will agree with you (one of the hazards of saying: "just wanted to know what everyone thought.", lol). As was said in the beginning and I have said to many people, regardless of my personal views - if you are happy with the trade, then it is a good trade. Its that simple.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #14
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
Wow, new guy asks a simple question and everybody acts like he was trying to sell the snake to you as a pure. He just wanted to know if other people thought it was a fair trade, not if you thought albino hoggs were a good idea. Nobody bothered to ask if it was just for a pet.
I suppose I could have limited my response to only what I thought of the trade and said "you got reamed" and left it at that.
I didn't feel that was a fair statement to be made without offering my reasons for it. To some that might have been a fine deal. For me though, the fact the hog island is carrying the albino gene, meaning it was produced from a mainland BCI breeding, automatically reduces the value of the snake in my eyes to near zero.
I couldn't make a comment on the trade itself without explaining my position since some people would actually view the snake as being more valuable since it carried the albino gene.

As for being offended, I don't think anyone was. I know as far as I'm concerned I am way beyond being offended in such discussions. These type breedings will occur regardless of my opinion on it. My getting mad about it accomplishes nothing so there's no reason to let it bother me.
I just hate to see something as great as the pure hog island boas becoming harder and harder to find due to what I view as irresponsible breeding.

I will say again, if you personally feel the snake was worth whatever you had in those cages, then consider it a good trade. I always say that any animal is worth whatever the buyer and seller agrees it is worth, the opinions of others has no relevance in the end.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #15
connorrm
I too wasn't angry upset or anything. Just wanted to place my statement of agreement.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
densnake1
Rich, I am on your side in this "discussion" , that is also what I this forum was for. If you want to breed her do it, don't let some peoples opinions on this forum alter your plans. My only point was if you do breed her make sure people know what the cross is. I have asked allot of questions on this forum and every one has been kind enough to help. This just seems to be a touchy(sp?) subject to some people. Take care and make sure you post some pics when you get them. Also thanks to the people who have answered the questions I have asked, I'm not trying to start a fight but I thought everyone was kind of hard on the guy asking the question.
Dennis Cook

Old 07-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #17
hhmoore
I'm sorry that some people think we were "coming down" on Richard. Bottom line is, he asked for opinions and he got some. There was nothing personal about it. Like I said earlier, there is nothing that says people are going to agree with your thoughts...so asking what people think is always something of a hazard. Do I have a problem with Richard because he has an impure hog island boa? Of course not. Will I choose not to help him with husbandry questions because of it? I think anybody that has dealt with me in any context knows the answer to that.
I won't go so far as to say it is getting harder to find pure hogs at this point, but impure hogs are definitely becoming more prevalent...and the reason is simply because people take the progeny of the various mixes (normalXhog, hypoXhog*, etc) and, as long as they have enough of the characteristics to pass, just call them hogs. Sure, maybe the initial breeder is up front about it, but that doesn't mean that everybody else that comes into possession is. I have passed on several hogs I was considering purchasing because they possessed traits that led me to question the purity of their blood lines. Sure, I could have been mistaken, but I am not willing to take the chance.
That is, of course, just my take on the matter. Some people find something about them appealing. So be it
*this, of course, refers specifically to the "normal" (non-hypo) babies

Old 07-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #18
hhmoore
Case in point, an ad header I saw today
100% Het Anery Hogg Island!
(of course, in smaller print, within the body of the ad)
Hogg Islands 100% Het Anerythristic. Born 06-14-2006 from a Hogg Island female x Anerythristic Colombian

Old 07-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #19
richie671
well thanks for everyone help.
but i will keep her and so my understanding is that hets are junk?
i will keep this in mind when i get my next reptile.
so if someone had a reg ball female and a spider ball male and breed them
then the babies will be hets also so not worth the money they ask for as a pure spider ball?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
Cat_72
Richie, it isn't that "hets are junk", it's the fact that what you have is a hogg crossed with another type of boa. That's not to say it is "junk", I'm sure she can and will make a wonderful pet for you. But it is sad to see the Hogg lines not remaining pure.

The spider ball is a co-dom gene, therefore there is no "het" for spider ball, but you could, say, buy a het for albino ball python. No, it would obviously not be worth the same amount of money as a visual albino, but it is still a pure BALL python.

Did that make sense? LOL! I'm not always great at 'splainin stuff like this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!