Customer Demands Shipping without Labels - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
Ed.Roberts101
Customer Demands Shipping without Labels

I have a customer who wants me to ship a couple snakes to her in the same state as I am (just on the opposite side), and she's insisting that I don't write anything on the box other than "Perishable" and "Fragile". I guess she had an experience with the delivery guy reading what was on a previous reptile she had shipped then dropping the box on her doorstep.

I use Reptiles2You which states that the Lacey Act requires both the common name and scientific name of the reptile being shipped to be written on the box. Does this also apply for in-state shipments?

Old 11-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
bcr229
I believe the labeling requirements do apply for in-state shipments.

My FedEx delivery people are hit-or-miss in how they handle packages, so I have incoming critter shipments held at the hub. The folks at the hubs are great and deal with live animal shipments regularly so they treat the packages correctly.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
snowgyre
It's illegal not to have the box labeled, and violates R2Y terms of service.

You can make the label small, but it must be there. I generally print out a 1" x 2" slip of paper and tape it to the side of the box with the inventory of the box. Scientific name and common name are required.

If she's that concerned, have the box held at a hub, like Melinda suggests.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
Ed.Roberts101
Well I learned that this rule applies to ALL R2Y shipments (not just interstate), so I told her I wouldn't do it. Then she canceled her purchase and claimed that I must be doing something illegal because I just mentioned the Lacey Act.
This isn't some new scam, is it?
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
snowgyre
She sounds extremely sketchy. I wouldn't do business with her. Her response is nonsensical. Seems like you might have dodged a bullet there!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!