Origin of the Coral Bearded Dragon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
OEdwards
Origin of the Coral Bearded Dragon

I know they are from WWD, but how did she get that glowing color? Is it from trans, high reds/oranges, or citrus? Also what do y'all think is the most popular dragon morph; Citrus, oranges ,reds, trans, dunner, hypotrans, a mix or these, etc.?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Mistyck
Citrus, oranges, reds are colors, not morphs...

Old 12-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
KnM-Reptiles
that wasnt really the point mistyck lol

Old 12-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Mistyck
They asked what the most popular dragon morph is, and I'm pointing out that those mentioned are not morphs, they are colors.

Plus why do you want new reptile owners to be confused and be calling colors morphs when they aren't? I sure don't want to have new owners uneducated.

So that's MY point.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
KnM-Reptiles
What's the point of arguing? He was asking favorite morph. So what if he listed like 2 selective bred traits. Just asking what people like the best. How would you have put it?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Gina Gauvin
Thumbs up color quality

Hey Owen, I'm not sure who was the first to name their dragon color coral, but I do remember way back over 10yrs ago Kevin Dunn came out with an extremely bright red line and it was called coral. Not sure if he developed it himself or started out buy buying the originals elsewhere. As far as how to make very colorful dragons, you have to pair reds with reds if you want reds. Not red to yellow or you end up with less red. after each batch is hatched you hold back 5 of the most colorful and weed them out as they grow and hold a few back each generation. You need to have multiple bloodlines and not in breed for the best success.
I started out with sandfires about 15yrs ago, added chris allen, kevin dunn, georgia beardies etc, and made my own colors a bit at a time. Nowadays it's easier to find bright dragons and start out colorful.
I find that a red translucent dragon is a more intense red usually because the skin is translucent and has a darker undertone. While the normals have a lot of white markings and the skin is a lighter shade underneath. Here is 2 pics as an example. 1st one is a red sandfire italian leatherback, while the 2nd one is a translucent it.leatherback. And if these were hypo, they would lose most or all dark pigments. Hope that helps! =)
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
OEdwards
It does Gina, Thanks! So this brings me to another question, in "color Dominance"... for example in human hair color brown is dominant, is one color more dominant than others in dragons? Like a white bred to a vibrant red or orange, and the babies where hypotrans for example does the white dominate, does it dilute the red, or does the white act like a blank canvas for the red or orange color to take over? Purples... do you have to have a purple gene (if there is one), or is it just a full trans to full trans pairing that produces it? And whites, to me the seem to be a "glorified" normal phase dragon. Sure there are those nice whites that have lavender markings and what not, but what is trying to be achieved, where can they take us in future dragon genetics? And I have notice that yellows don't really mix well with oranges or reds, the resulting color always seems..."normal".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!