Milking Heloderma - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
GinoInDaBronx
Milking Heloderma

I know that Helodermas (both species) inject their venom through the teeth in their lower jaws. What, I was wondering was if it is possible to milk them? Is there an AV? If so, how is the venom obtained?

Old 07-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
snakegetters
There is no antivenom, and they are difficult to milk for research purposes. The technique I have heard of is allowing them to chew on a sterile rubber sponge, possibly along with a dose of one of the drugs that reliably increases salivation and can be harmlessly reversed (neostigmine if I recall correctly).

Old 07-11-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
I think they do not inject their venom through their teeth. Rather, as I recall, they have venom ducts or glands, that line the lower jaw and secrete the venom which then flows into a wound by the action of chewing. It is not by way of injection as with a syringe or a rattler fang.

Best reagrds,
Glenn B

Old 07-11-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
An interesting side note is while there is no antivenin, gila venom is currently being used for research into the advancement of the treatment of diabetes, and is showing promise.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
gila7150
Glenn is correct when he states that
Heloderma don't actually inject venom through their teeth. Their teeth do have a groove on the outside of the tooth that directs the venom into the wound. The seriousness of a bite is usually a direct result of how long the animal is allowed to hang on and secrete it's venom.

The demand for Heloderma AV would probably be pretty low since bites are almost never fatal (although they can serious and can be extremely painful) and accidental bites are almost non existant. Heloderma bites are almost always the result of someone handling or otherwise disturbing a captive or wild animal.

Tanith's suggestion for aquiring venom would probably work. I've been bitten once on my Midwest kevlar glove and a significant amount of venom was left on the outer leather. (the bite did not penetrate the glove).
Chris

Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 AM   #6
COBRAMAN
Mr Haast holds them upside down and has them bite a metal plate. You are lucky to get 2 or 3 drops per extraction.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!