Bearded dragon babie not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
nchan
Bearded dragon babie not eating

Hey guys,

I have a problem. My new bearded dragon hasn't been eating for 2 days. He is still very active and alert. He doesn't show any physical signs of sickness. He looks to be healthy. I bought him from a pet store and he looks to be about 2 month old. I feed it crickets and mealworms daily 2 times a day. Crickets are dusted with herp vitamin and calcium. He is in a 10 gallon tank that has nothing in it. No sand nothing just bare glass. The temp in his tank is 102.8 on the basking side and 87 in the shade side. I use a UVB lamp and a light that emits UVAs also. I have another bearded dragon about 1 1/2 years old. He is healthy and they are kept in seperate cages where they cannot see each other. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking your time in reading my post.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Valley Dragons
Hi! I would start by raising that basking temperature to 110*F - 115*F. The basking temp you are using now is a bit low and could be decreasing your dragon's appetite. I also recomemend that you upgrade to a 20-gallon. It will be much easier to provide a proper temperature gradient. I would use paper towels in the bottom of the cage. This will give him better traction. He may have a hard time walking across bare glass. I would completely cut out mealworms from your dragon's diet. He is too young to handle all that chitin, and he could easily become impacted. Stick to crickets (or silkworms or lobster roaches) for now. Make sure the crickets are not too big for him. 1/4" should be a good size for a 2-month old dragon.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jamie

Old 05-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Personally, I wouldn't raise the basking higher than 110, especially since you have a smaller tank it can expedite dehydration, & he can quickly get overheated. If possible I would upgrade to a larger tank as suggested.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure temps with? Are you using a stick on type or a digital probe or temp gun?
How long have you had him? He could be going through a brief relocation stress if you have had him less than 2 weeks.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
nchan
hey,

thanks for all the replies. he got his appetite back. Thanks for all the replies, they helped alot.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

That is great your baby is doing better now & eating. Maybe he just was not warm enough.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!