Help...Impacted maybe... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries54
Um,........what sort of animal are we talking about here?

what forum are you looking in.....

Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
a1littlesister
I'll try the applesauce....I can't get into the vet till late tomorrow afternoon so I'm gonna keep trying. The crickets are smaller than the space between his eyes. But there has been a couple time he has gotten a bigger one before I could catch it but has had no problems. I feed the bigger ones to my STO (short tailed possum). I offered him more crickets today and he still won't eat. One thing is he hasn't gotten paralyzed like I have heard could happen. I'll try applesauce right now and then another soak. Thanks so much for the help.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #13
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Keep me posted on how he is doing. I hope he will be ok. Any luck on a stool yet?

Tracie

Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #14
Bar None Reptiles
I've had less than 14" dragons munch on dry Repcal pellets before without any problems. If he munched up that super really well it should not have caused any problems either. The only times I had to deal with the impaction was in dragons about 6 inches long. Usually you are in the clear at Costello's size. Least I would think. Maybe he is just constipated or trying to get extra attention from you. Is he the one in the newer tank? Or did he get to stay in the one you raised both in? Maybe he is just stressing with the window dancing, took him a lil longer to figure out this was his new home? If he were impacted for several days now, he'd most likely have a buldge at the site of the impaction. Kinda like a hunch back. After that his back legs would cease to function. It usually happens faster than it is happening in Costello. In mine, I went away one morning and came back the next day early evening and they were starting to get the hunchback. One passed that night. The next was I'd say about 36 hours after that one, and the 3rd hung on until day 4. It all happens pretty fast. But I didn't think one his size would have much problem. Maybe he just has a partial blockage? I wouldn't worry too much, you'll have him at the vet soon. It doesn't sound like its really bad just yet. Let me know what the vet says.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
a1littlesister
Costello is the one in the old cage...he did poop just a bit and did eat that applesauce olive oil mix...so must not be a complete blockage if he is able to get something out. But still not interested in eating crickets. He is a bit more laid back today....I measured him last night he is 15" or close to it. I don't feel a bulge at all and I have poked and rubbed deep in that area and feel nothing..I'll see what the vet recommends...but if he eats and passes more poop today I'm gonna wait..it's snowing out and I hate to take him out in this cold. Appointment isn't till 4:30 so he has time...I'll soak again. Thanks so much for making me feel a bit better about him.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Glad to help. How is your boy doing? That is good news he had something pass through, did it have any urates to it?
Maybe he has just been a little dehydrated possibly, that will slow things down a bit. Keep us posted on him.
HMM, snow, huh? Well, that is up to you. How far is the vets from you? You could wrap him up in a towel. Fill an old sock full of rice, & microwave the rice for a few minutes. That will hold heat for several hours. Just keep the towel in between him & the sock. They do get hot, so you don't want to burn him. If you go, let us know how it goes.
Glad he had some of the applesauce & olive oil mixed. Sometimes, things just get slowed down in the GI tract from dehydration or a change in diet.

Tracie

Old 04-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #17
a1littlesister
Success....I soaked him again and got a good poop this time...this one had something like a little piece of gravel at the beginning of it...I know this sounds terrable but I did inspect to see if something hard was in there. My husband seems to think that maybe some of the slate tile could have chipped off and he ate it. We are now gonna take it all out and sand the edges down. I am gonna offer him more applesauce and olive oil again just to be sure and wait on the vet till it warms up a bit. Monday it was upper 60's today it's snowing. Thanks so much for the suggestions

Old 04-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
Bar None Reptiles
That is awesome!! I'm so happy for him! I would not worry too much about him not being very interested in crickets. As they get older they start to prefer the veggies for the most part. Some start earlier than others. I have a 9 month old that used to go crazy for crix all the time, now he attacks his veggies bowl before I even set it down.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #19
a1littlesister
I talked to the Vet and he wants me to bring both Abbott and Costello in on Wednesday for a fecal. They have only had one and that was awhile back. And he wants me to watch Costello closely and make sure there is no blood in his poop since I told them what it might have been. He really hasn't eaten his veggies either but he could have been bloated or something. He said if he still hasn't eaten by Monday don't wait till Wednesday bring him in. As far as the frantic window dancing he was doing....I noticed while he was doing that Abbott was waving and dancing also...I think they can see eachother so I hung a sheet across the room as a test to see if it lets up...It did. I'll probably have to get that decorative paper and cover the fronts of the cages so they can't see eachother. To have been raised together they sure developed an instant hate towards eachother. I really appreciate everyones suggestions and reassuring...it all helped.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #20
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

So Abbott & Costello are both male? Yeah seeing each other would probably do that for sure. It will work them up. They are just hitting that age that they just wont tolerate each other.
Well, that could constipate him if he isn't getting enough fluids or vegetation. I hope he starts eating soon. Are you giving him any nutritional slurries? Have you tried other feeders, too?
I hope he didn't ingest a piece of tile, but, it is possible. Poor guy, but I think he should be ok, just make sure no blood is coming out!
Let us know how it goes. Good you talked to the vet also.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!