Carnivorous Plants - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #71
Celtic Constrictors
Awesome. Will do. Thanks Rich. Looks like I'm headed to The Deeper as my wife calls it.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #72
WebSlave
Fly Trap seeds!!

I've got seeds!

Looks like I lost some during the rain that came through before I got home from being out of town, but at least they dropped into the bog tubs. So they aren't really lost, just that I was unable to collect them. I propped some of the flower/seed stalks up with some bamboo stakes that were leaning outside of the tubs, so good thing I did that. Otherwise those seeds would have been lost in the grass around the bog tubs.

I collected the rest and there are still a lot more to come. Looks like one of my smaller fly traps is putting out a late flower stalk, so I should have more, I guess, later on. Do they flower more than once a season?

The plants seem to have fared well through this stage, as they were all putting out new traps the entire time they were flowering and setting seed. Plus I was catching small grasshoppers out of Connie's garden to feed them, so I guess that helped. Sure wish they would catch yellow flies! They would have had bulging bellies this year.

Now I just have to set up some of the seeds to try to grow them and see how that goes. Should be pretty neat to see little tiny venus fly traps growing up if I'm successful getting them to sprout.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #73
WebSlave
The seeds from my venus flytraps are beginning to sprout!

Looks like some of my sundews (burmani) are coming along too. Still small as all get out, but at least they are alive.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #74
WebSlave
Surprisingly enough, the venus fly trap seeds are nearly all sprouting. I decided to snatch some pics of them before Connie moved them into the two tubs with the other larger plants. I guess I may have to move some of them around and maybe set up more tubs when they get bigger. Hopefully they will do OK out there.... But I couldn't keep them where they were much longer as the sundews I set up seemed to succumb to mold. Figured I had better move these guys why they were still looking strong.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #75
WebSlave
After putting the baby fly traps in the mini bogs, it looks like most of them are doing fine and making little traps to catch their own meals.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #76
WebSlave
And of course I took some pics of the older fly traps while I had the camera in hand.....

Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #77
Celtic Constrictors
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing the progress. I've never actually seen them grown from seeds before.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 AM   #78
MassModz
Got any extra seeds to send?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 AM   #79
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassModz View Post
Got any extra seeds to send?
Sorry, but I planted them all. From what I have read, the seeds don't stay viable for very long anyway.

Not sure how the small plants are doing because lately I have had cattle that escaped from the neighbor walk through one of my mini bog tubs and nibble on the flytraps, and then recently had something (probably small armadillos) partially get through the fencing I put around the mini bogs and dug around the perimeter. Obviously I'm not real happy about the wildlife around here lately....

Not sure how things are going to be looking when Spring comes around.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #80
MassModz
Damn, sounds like a Greek tragedy I'm sorry to hear that :/

Were you growing then in containers with 100% humidity? Also, can you tell me what you use for substrate and percentages for each? I'd be greatful for that info

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!