Very odd. No birds. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
snowgyre
It's doubtful. The avian flu the chickens got was from contaminated stock, and all birds were euthanized and the facilities sterilized. There are many different strains of avian influenza, each with varying degrees of harm, similar to human influenzas.

If there was a demonstrable fallout of wild birds due to disease, it would be all over the news. The CDC, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, NGOs, wildlife groups, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study (SCWDS), etc. would be all over it. For example, we had a series of mass deaths among pine siskins a few years back, and SCWDS was able to prove within a week or so that a salmonella strain caused the deaths.

My guess is we're simply in the post-migration lull. After the peak migration high, winter birds can seem depauperate by comparison. If you're concerned you can always check the local birding activity through your local birding clubs (e.g. Audubon Societies) or look up recent sightings on ebird.org.

I'm quite active in the birding scene and there's been no concerns among birders in Georgia. Bird numbers and activity seem normal. I've been hunting a lot in the past month and have seen a good diversity (both numbers of species and individuals).

Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
WebSlave
Well, the gold finches have started to show up, finally. Had a group of robins swoop in and strip the holly tree by the side porch of it's ripe berries, and then they were gone again. Guess they all just make their rounds on their own schedules...

Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
Lucille
I've seen one or two birds at a time at the feeder the last few weeks so maybe they will come back a little at a time.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #14
JColt
15 today so you should be seeing Cleveland birds soon! brrrr.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #15
WebSlave
Supposed to get down to 27 degrees here in north Florida tonight, so they might all just pass on by and keep on heading south.

I'm rooting for GLOBAL WARMING! B-R-I-N-G I-T O-N!!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
OR Hill
This summer here in Maryland there was a definite lack of birds in some areas. A local waterway and campus usually have good numbers of typical suburban birds - mockingbirds, robins, cardinals, song sparrows, chipping sparrows. Well the campus was silent this late summer and fall. Normally even if you can’t see them you can here them. Sometimes hawks will cause them to hide but not a lot of hawks either. My wooded back yard is okay though.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #17
nickolasanastasiou
No changes where I was or where I am.

Currently have a good three species of owls on the property going by the noise outside of where I occasionally sleep. Some falcons hunt the grounds and nest at the tops of some of my taller trees. A bunch of cardinals spend time in the bushes in the tortoise pens. There are many pairs of pileated woodpeckers that nest in a dead tree at the back of the property (and yell at me from afar when I walk around either the front or the back during the day). All sorts of tiny warblers and finches flitting about. Sometimes eating with the tortoises. I worry my Burmese blacks will start catching them (I have seen mine catch sparrows before). More incentive to keep the tortoises overfed, I guess. Sandhill cranes walk by the property and start to come up the one driveway, but I do not want them raiding my main pond, so I tend to run at them while yelling belligerently like some sort of animated porcelain ape to keep them from venturing too close. If something kills something else or dies (like a possum that fell out of a tall tree and slammed into the ground), one or more turkey vultures show up pretty quickly.

That is the bulk of what I have seen here.

Also, turkeys. This blurry photo was taken last week when they took off running before I could focus the shot. Only about 75% of the birds present that day were in frame. In October, I counted a group of forty-seven turkeys together. This is on a piece of property that is maybe twenty to thirty feet from my plot. The most I ever saw congregated in Missouri was a group of perhaps eleven large adults as well as many other smaller groups consisting of a mother and her three to five young. Sometimes single animals roaming, too.

These are just the birds that are common at and around the house.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #18
OR Hill
I love visiting Florida it is wildlife watching utopia for me between all the birds including very unique ones, gators and the bajillion lizard everywhere.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #19
nickolasanastasiou
Being the albino gorilla ninja that I am, I took these some minutes ago.

Anyone know what it is? I did not want to frighten it, so I did not grab it to get a photograph of the face.

Stubby finger for scale.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #20
snowgyre
It's a Carolina wren. You found its roost. Adorable, cheeky little guys! They always scold me when I'm working in the yard.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!