Very odd. No birds. - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #51
nickolasanastasiou
Awesome. I love flying squirrels. So adorable. I mostly see possums and armadillos here at night. The armadillos do not enter the pens, so they are only an occasional minor nuisance now (and they amuse me). The possums do steal the food from the tortoises (without harming them) and play around in their water dishes, but they eradicate ticks, so I consider the relationship square enough. There is a raccoon in an adjoining property I have to remove, unfortunately, as its presence basically cannot end well with respect to my animals.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #52
snowgyre
Yeah, flying squirrels are pretty cute little devils. They are a major predator of nesting birds though, and we annually have to kick them out of the bluebird boxes we set out each year. Here's one that we handed an eviction notice to a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #53
nickolasanastasiou
I am sure we have some here, but I have not had the pleasure of seeing any yet. Our trees are mostly very tall.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #54
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post
I am sure we have some here, but I have not had the pleasure of seeing any yet. Our trees are mostly very tall.
I'm sure Flying Squirrels are all over Brooksville. I have nine of them. The first two we caught in Plant City. You will never see them during the day. They only come out at night. They sure are cute.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #55
WebSlave
Back when Connie and I first bought the land we live on now, we would come down here from Maryland and camp out for our vacations. Near one of our campsites there was a tree with a hole in it about 4 ft. off of the ground that appeared to run down to the base of the tree. Well one day I knocked against the tree and heard an odd little "growly" sound coming from the hole. Knock on the tree, and the growl followed. I wasn't about to stick my hand into the hole to find out what the heck that was, so it just remained a funny little mystery at the time.

Many years late a friend came by the house to show us his pet flying squirrels. He was tossing them around and every once in a while, one apparently would get agitated and make a noise. THAT was the noise we had heard coming from that tree hole. So the mystery was finally solved.

Not sure how many of them we have around here, but as long as they leave my bamboo alone (unlike the evil gray squirrels) they are welcome to stay.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #56
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
I'm sure Flying Squirrels are all over Brooksville. I have nine of them. The first two we caught in Plant City. You will never see them during the day. They only come out at night. They sure are cute.
People find them in their garages in Brooksville, so for sure. I just have not seen them. My trees are mostly very tall. We have many woodpecker nests and owl nests and I am sure flying squirrel nests, but I just have not located the latter just yet and I do not want to get too poky with them.

I do night patrols on the property because I want to ensure the animals I own are in safe and proper states, but even with powerful beams/torches, the heights of the trees makes for difficulty seeing little stuff up high. I (and the dogs) mostly keep the raccoons at bay and I check on the possums and armadillos to make sure they are being properly behaved citizens in my little kingdom (stealing tortoise food is fine and digging is fine, but digging a gap alongside a barrier or messing with a shallow nest of eggs is discouraged). The possums really dislike me petting them and the armadillos jump and snort when I approach them from downwind and pat them on the plates, but that is the price they pay for my tolerance.

Maybe I could see a flying squirrel if I used a scope of some sort. I have several species of owl which hoot all night right outside of all of my bedrooms and I still have yet to catch a glimpse of even one. Saw 40-something turkeys today maybe 100 feet from my property line when i was heading to an appointment this morning. There is some sort of squeaky thing every night on the property and I think it is a mammal, but I do not recognize the noise well enough to know the source (yet). Could be the flying squirrels (maybe).

Old 03-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #57
snowgyre
Flying squirrels sound like high-pitched gray squirrels. It's unmistakably a squirrel noise. Flying squirrels will use cavities to nest in, like woodpeckers. If you put up a few bluebird boxes you will probably get flying squirrels moving in. It may be worth a shot?

Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #58
nickolasanastasiou
Not a bad idea. If I overwhelm my wife with their cuteness, I could probably gain extra buy-in on on-the-fence decisions. lol My wife will come home to a small kangaroo wearing a Hannibal hoodie while sitting next to me in a chair while I am at one of the computers. Or something like that. "Nick, why is there a puffer fish in my vase? And why are there salamanders in the cold cuts drawer of the fridge?!" "Who can say, honey? Who can say?" "YOU CAN SAY!" "Who can say, honey? Who can say?" lol

Back to birds, I found a sandhill crane hanging around when I got home today and chased it off. One of my turtles is conspicuously absent. I can deal with that if it happened. Not critical, project-wise. Not desirable, though, either. Could also have been an indigo I damn near stumbled upon the other day in the small bank area by the simple turtle pond. Assuming it is gone at all. Some stuff can vanish for weeks due to space or cover. Had a little heron about (off and on), but it was a smaller sort and the turtle had been seen since the heron left.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #59
brd7666
I know we are getting off topic with the squirrel thing. I had to clean the cage today that all of my Flying Squirrels are kept in. I put them in a small cage to hold them while I clean their cage. Here is a picture of all nine of my squirrels in the holding cage.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #60
snowgyre
As much as it sucks potentially losing a turtle, if that was going to happen to me, I almost wouldn't mind it so much as long as it was a sandhill crane taking it. They are super awesome birds. How big was the turtle though? I honestly haven't heard of either sandhills or herons taking hard-shelled turtles before.

And Brian, those are super cute! Have you tamed them at all or are they still pretty wild?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!