Weather - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #11
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
I actually purchased it 2 nights ago while shopping for something else....but I haven't watched it yet. I think I'll put it on my list of things to accomplish this weekend

Makes me think of the words of George Carlin:

The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we're a threat? That somehow we're gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun?.

THE EARTH WANTS PLASTIC! :P

Old 01-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Have you seen an Inconvenient Truth yet? everyone should. its seriously disturbing...
Nope. If it didn't have Al Gore's name attached to it, I might have picked it up.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Nope. If it didn't have Al Gore's name attached to it, I might have picked it up.
Now now, thats what bush was gonna do. ( Our own president wasnt going to watch a film on global warming just cause it was Al Gores Movie.... isnt the president supposed to support things like that? )

Anyway..you really should watch it, if for nothing more than the facts that it holds. it was actually done really well.

Its time to start voting for the people that truly count. The people that WILL make a difference.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
Stardust
Absolutely love George Carlin! Although I have never heard him recite those words I can picture his facial features and gestures and the way he would say it

I too was resistant on getting that movie, I just may re-think that stance and get it. Gee, Bush or Gore?

Major changes going on in the weather, I do not think it will be as long as they say it will. Not with it changing, and not so subtly either. I would not be surprised that I will see much more changes in my own life time. We could very well be making ourselves extinct!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Now now, thats what bush was gonna do. ( Our own president wasnt going to watch a film on global warming just cause it was Al Gores Movie.... isnt the president supposed to support things like that? )

Anyway..you really should watch it, if for nothing more than the facts that it holds. it was actually done really well.

Its time to start voting for the people that truly count. The people that WILL make a difference.

Ummmmm...................facts?

Much of the theory in this flick is far from fact.

More fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) than solid evidence-based science.

In the 70's the "facts" showed that we were headed for another ICE AGE!

Al Gore needs to stop being an attention whore and gracefully fade away - probably too late for the graceful part though.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #16
WebSlave
Quote:

Actually I WAS a registered Democrat before that election where Gore made a complete ass of himself with all those vote recounts. Both my wife and I changed our party affiliation after that and I lost all respect for that man (who "invented" the internet) afterwards. Even though perhaps his message is worthwhile, you cannot discount the messenger who delivers it and the motives behind the delivery.

Heck, it would be like buying a Bible written by "Reverend" Jesse Jackson.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I actually purchased it 2 nights ago while shopping for something else....but I haven't watched it yet. I think I'll put it on my list of things to accomplish this weekend
We checked it out and are watching it tonight. No snow here (just a few snowflakes so far in the season) and 30-40 degrees during the day; just remember that historically the central plains are supposed to be among the coldest spots in the country. In talking with an entomologist he said that this is bad as the cold weather is very much needed to destroy most of the larva (that are dormant in the winter) of pests that affect plants and trees. We wonder if pretty soon we might see armadillos in the backyard!

Old 01-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
Stardust
Ok last year winter started and ended a bit late, I thought that was odd. From 1999, when I moved here it seemed there was a sort of shift in the weather, with winter starting a little bit later and lasting more into the spring, each year it seemed to shift a bit more. Last year I could really tell the shift.
This year is just downright weird. Here we are Jan 7th, usually the coldest month of the year, with plenty of snow by now. With the exception of a lot of snow in the first part of Nov there has really been nothing 1/2 an inch day after Christmas.
Today the sun has been shining all day and in upper 30's lower 40's. I wonder to myself if the "shift" is going to come and this year go into summer as well, or there will be nothing. It should be very intersting. In one hand I hope there is nothing and it gets and stays warmer, on the other hand I worry. No snow is one thing, the lakes will be a lot lower this year, although there has been rain, but no frigid cold is another. We can not predict what this earth feels like doing, we try, but it always seems to surprise us.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
We checked it out and are watching it tonight. No snow here (just a few snowflakes so far in the season) and 30-40 degrees during the day; just remember that historically the central plains are supposed to be among the coldest spots in the country. In talking with an entomologist he said that this is bad as the cold weather is very much needed to destroy most of the larva (that are dormant in the winter) of pests that affect plants and trees. We wonder if pretty soon we might see armadillos in the backyard!

Its also needed here or there will be many droughts during the summer...

A guy came into work today and actually said to me when i commented on the weather and global warming " Theres no actual scientific proof of Global Warming being real"

WHAT!????

He was an old man probably in his 80's... Such a remark... i just didnt know what to say to him. so i didnt say a word. I just shook my head when he left...

Old 01-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #20
WebSlave
Hmm, then I guess the evidence of glaciers vanishing is really a case more of Global Evaporation rather than Global Warming?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!