cobras - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
jpjoubert
cobras

Hey, i am a new member and not sure how all of this works. I am really interrested in buying a cobra, either egyptian or cape cobras. Is there anyone out there that can send me some info. such as prices and dealers and sites that I can check out?
My email is jean_pierrejoubert@msn.com
I would appreciate any information.
Cheers, jp.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
snakegetters
Before checking out prices and dealers, I hope you have checked out things like how you can give veterinary care to a cobra if it becomes ill, how you can safely handle the animal for routine cage maintenance, and what you will do in the case of a bite - eg, where is your source of antivenom. Legality and permits (if applicable in your state) are also important to consider, as is secure escape proof housing.

Let me know if you've already done your research on those issues and if so I'll hook you right up with some good sources.

If you're already an experienced keeper of elapids I am sorry if this sounds condescending, but usually folks who don't know where to buy cobras have not kept them before. A lot of people want to buy cobras before they have the faintest idea of how to keep them safely or care for them humanely, and that's not a good thing in my opinion. So would you mind sharing the details of the research you have (hopefully) already done on keeping them safely with a good standard of care? It would be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
jpjoubert
I really don't mind your concern, in fact i appreciate it. I guess i took it for granted that all snake lovers are responsible. I am origionally from South Africa and have been living here for about three years now. I have been around snakes since the age of three or that's as long back as i can remember. I was a member of our "districts" snake breeders club for seven years before immigrating to the states. I started out with the common brown house snake, before that i had to start a mouse colony and go through strict test both practical and written. I have kept three cobras for the reptile park near my house, one of which was a unique mozambique spitting cobra for seven months, one egyptian cobra for over a year (beautiful gold color) and a baby egyptian cobra only for three weeks. None of them died in my care and live to this day as far as i know. My dad and i once took 45 minutes to catch an egyptian cobra behind my house becuase it crawled into an old washing machine. Once we caught it we measured it at over 4'5", it was a record for my "district" or county i guess, i worked with our wildlife organization in catching and relocating snakes and educating the people who encouter them on a daily basis. Well i guess i can go on forever, but i don't mean to brag or anything, but i just wanted to assure you that i know exactly what i am doing. I guess my post was misleading, "i am new at this" but i wasn't sure what the rules and regulations of the chat board was about enquiring about buying snakes. But i live in NC and there is no permit neccesarry but i am a member of the wildlife organization here. I have my hunting and fishing licence and all that stuff...well there i go again.
I will be glad to answer any more questions and concerns.
Thanks again for your sincere love and respect of reptiles.
Cheers, jp.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:49 PM   #4
snakegetters
Two good places to buy venomous snakes - Mardi Snipes' Coastal Reptiles, http://www.coastalreptiles.com and Ricky Duffield's Exotic Reptile Jungle at http://www.exoticsrus.com/IndexMain.html

Remember that when buying any imported animal you should always expect to give the animal a veterinary examination and care. All imports will have internal and external parasites and you will have to treat them for both. My web site gives details on the safe and humane restraint of venomous snakes for veterinary care. http://www.snakegetters.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!