Atmospheric Pressure? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
GinoInDaBronx
Atmospheric Pressure?

The other day, I was speaking with a vey interesting gentleman. I dont know what he does professionally, but he is somehow involved with hot snakes. Anyways, what he said of note, concerned the Bushmaster (Lachesis muta). He said that the reason as to why it has proved to be so difficult to breed in the US was because it could only produce under the right atmospheric conditions (pressure). i had never heard such a thing before...

your comments, Tanith, Abishek, anyone...

Old 07-11-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Gregg M
I do not think it has much to do with atmospheric pressure...... It is more so that the people keeping bushmasters (not all) do not realy know much about them..... Atmospheric pressure would have to be the same here in the US as in south america at one or more periods of time..... All it really takes is a nice thunderstorm to change atmospheric pressure...... If you allow your snakes to cycle, they will breed...... If someone is keeping a male and female anything, and they do not breed, they are doing something wrong and I am sure it would be a safe bet to think it has nothing at all to do with the atmospheric pressure......

Old 07-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
If someone is keeping a male and female anything, and they do not breed, they are doing something wrong and I am sure it would be a safe bet to think it has nothing at all to do with the atmospheric pressure......
I would not be so quick to take that bet, nor would I be willing to bet against it, but I would be willing to research the possibility. If someone was replicating virtually all the other known important factors that take place in this species environment, and decided as you have that barometriic pressure most probably had nothing to do with breeding success or failure, they could be missing an important environmental trigger for the breeding cycle, especially if barometric pressure followed a particular yearly pattern over and over again, year after year. Barometric pressure here in the USA, in the particualr locations where these snakes are being attempted to be bred, may not mimic those of the locales in South America where this species is found.
Quote:
Atmospheric pressure would have to be the same here in the US as in south america at one or more periods of time..... All it really takes is a nice thunderstorm to change atmospheric pressure...... If you allow your snakes to cycle, they will breed.....
Ah, therein this statement lies a potential key to understanding the subject of Bushmaster breeding. You say that if someone 'cycles' a bushmaster pair it will breed (I say pair becuase you mentioned pair in your post, but they may require a trio to facilitate breeding). Regardless of the number of males per female required to encourage successful breeding, I wonder what are the cycling requirements you speak of that would apply to Bushmasters? Is it possible that cues received from barometric pressures are what causes them to cycle? Certainly the barometric pressure here in some parts of the USA or other parts of the world may mimic those of the home range of this particular species of Bushmaster, but does the barometric pressure here (or anywhere you attempt to breed them outside their native range) sufficiently reflect the barometric pressure conditions found in their home range?

What I mean is, could not these snakes be affected by a prolonged period, say 6 months or so of certain daily barometric pressures, and then by 6 months or so more of differing pressures that cause the animal to sexually cycle? Now combine the changes in barometric pressures that would accompany a rainy season/dry season cycle, with possible subtle light changes from one season to the next, and with temperature changes from one season to the next, and with food availibilty from one season to the next - and maybe barometric pressure being a cause or trigger of cycling does not seem so far fetched. Barometric pressure affects animals such as amphibians, and it affects mammals People included) so why not affect Bushmasters?

If I understand correctly, this particular species is found in rain forests. There are not many rain forests here in the USA, with the exception, I think, of the northwest so it may be hard to tell in most locations where breeding attempts take place. A nice thunderstorm to change barometric pressure for a day or just a few hours may not be enough to cycle a Bushmaster. They may require prolonged periods of certain daily prevalent barometric pressures in order to cycle. In fact, it may be the low barometric pressure associated thunderstorms that cycles them to breed just as easily as it could be the high pressure of the dry season (hope I got my pressures right).

Of course, barometric pressure may have little if anything to do with their breeding cycle, but it is an interesting hypothesis. I certainly would like to hear more on the subject. In that regard I emailed Mr. Dean Ripa, a professional breeder of Bushmasters, to ask him if such is the case. I'll let you know what he says when and if he replies.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 07-12-2004, 01:26 AM   #4
Glenn Bartley
I received a quick reply from Mr. Ripa who suggested that if I wanted answers to my simple questions I buy his book on CD. I actually was strongly considering buying a copy for use as a raffle prize at my local herp society; however after his closed mouth sort of an answer my pocket book also seemed to close its mouth. I do not blame the man for not giving some in depth answer, but to be frank I think it was rather penny fooloish of him not to give a simple answer such as: 'Yes I believe barometric pressure has something to do with cycling for more info see my book.' Butthen again that was his prerogative just as it is mine not to buy the book/CD. Oh well I won't lose sleep over it, but I will try to find out from another source if the BP plays a part in cycling these snakes.

All he best,
GB

Old 07-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Gregg M
Hey Glenn,
Thanks for doing some research.... Too bad you came up short on an answer from Ripa...... I breed gaboons and other bitis and I would think that the barometric pressure whould be different here than it is along the equatorial belt, don you think??? Anyway, what I mean by cycling is to keep males and females separated from eachother for a while...... About 2 to 3 months....... At this time increase feeding and humidity levels....... Pretty basic and simple ways to get tropical reptiles to breed...... Sometimes you may have a stuborn male but there is a quick fix to that as well..... Put in another male...... The added comp will get most males going in a heart beat...... I feel some breeders put out false info so others would think it is much more involved than it really is........

Old 07-12-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I breed gaboons and other bitis and I would think that the barometric pressure whould be different here than it is along the equatorial belt, don you think??? Anyway, what I mean by cycling is to keep males and females separated from eachother for a while...... About 2 to 3 months....... At this time increase feeding and humidity levels....... Pretty basic and simple ways to get tropical reptiles to breed
Not every species is that easy though Gregg, as I think you fully understand (probably better than most). The individual triggers for any given species aren't guaranteed to be the same as the triggers for any other and I personally have found (mostly with amphibians) that experimenting with less well known triggers that would accompany a seasonal change can help the animals along. I have also read, from numerous sources in the past (That I would have to find again if you need a list) that barometric pressure changes which accompany the seasonal changes are a breeding trigger that zoos and private individuals have used for Fer DeLances (for instance) are a surefire key to copulation and fertile production. Is it valid? Dunno, never personally used it (except unsuccessfully with Phyllomedusa bicolor, a problem which was later solved) or bred any of the species it's supposed to work with but it certainly seems possible given some of the other, far more subtle triggers I know of for other species.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
Mustangrde1
With Barometric pressure a proven for certain animal related activities I would not bet against it. However in doing some climatic research through out the webs different weather sites and then considering the fact that pressure is never a constant factor anyplace for long periods of time I would doubt it is the factor.

Based on the apparent nature of bushmasters and their geographic range the species would perhaps been lost long ago as if all conditions were not right under the Barometric pressure theory they would not breed. We need to take in to account the odds of two 1.1 bushmasters in the same area during this event. Also factor in successful copulation and gestation.

In captivity we all know how difficult certain species can be. They perhaps may need perfect climatic conditions and or cycling or large caging any number of factors can be perfect yet if one is not it could result in an unsuccessful breeding attempt.Then we must take in to account ritual courtship and or battles.

We need more people attempting to breed these to find out the vairables and truths vs myths.

To bad Ripa would not give any help but he has a CD to sell i guess.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #8
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
Based on the apparent nature of bushmasters and their geographic range the species would perhaps been lost long ago as if all conditions were not right under the Barometric pressure theory they would not breed.
I think you misunderstood me. I am not saying that barometric pressure would have to be perfect, nor that it is the only trigger of breeding activity but rather that it may play a role in the natural breeding cycle. If that is the case, and then the triggering mechanism associated with the pressire is not met in captivity this could account for poor breeding in the species. As to this not being the case in nature - no it would not necessarily cause the demise of the species but wouldnaturally select snakes with certain traits to continue while others of the same species would die off - evolution. In fact your own words just about make the point I was making:
Quote:
They perhaps may need perfect climatic conditions and or cycling or large caging any number of factors can be perfect yet if one is not it could result in an unsuccessful breeding attempt
They may be difficult to breed in captivity because we cannot duplicate the conditions to which they are accustomed in nature. One of these is definitely seasonal changes in average barometric pressures caused by rainy and drier seasons.

As for experiementation yes we need more but not to diferrentiate between any mysths and fact but between proven and non-proven hypothesis. I am hopeful you are not saying that these other hypothesese were myths.

All the best,
Glenn B

Old 07-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #9
Mustangrde1
Absoulutly not Glen. Just as tired as I was it seamed better to say a myth at that time then anything else. Perhaps unproven ideas, Would have been better.

I do however wonder when the breeding in NATURE takeds place and if it has any coralation to the tropical storms and or that season. I really wish there was more information on them. I would love to own a trio put something about very long vipers with a very long strike range makes me think twice. Though it could be just the excuse i need to buy bigger longer hooks

Old 07-14-2004, 06:32 AM   #10
Gregg M
Dont forget the fangs on those bad boys Scott..... They are almost comparable to gaboon fangs..... Infact, I believe bushmasters have the second longest fangs of any venomous snake in the world....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!