Survivor Fiji - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
RowingMunkeyCU
Survivor Fiji

So who was watching it last night? Anyone know if the "sea snakes" are venomous?

Man, there's gotta be some great field herpin to be had out there...

Old 02-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Art Klass
I was wondering how the seasnake got into the tower on exile island. I guess they are arboreal, huh? I'm sure it wasn't planted.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Mike Greathouse
Extremely venomous, although non-aggressive.
Of course, I wouldn't put it past the network to employ the use of venomoids.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Wolfy-hound
I dislike that on the preview of next week's show they showed a clip of one guy killing one of the sea snakes with a machete... not to eat it(although until it airs, we won't know if they do or not) but because according to my vague memory "It's you or me". Ummm HELLO? It's the SNAKE'S island. It's a native there. Leave the poor things alone. I bet there is not huge uproar over it getting killed like there was about the "poor pig" from way back early in Surviver.
I watch Surviver... somewhat... it comes on before CSI.. and there are often skimpily dressed cute guy parading about in wet shorts, or wrestling in the sand... I just mute the tv and watch...
Leering is,
Wolfy

Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
RowingMunkeyCU
so doing a little research, the snakes appear to be Sea Kraits (Laticauda colubrina). Exile Island is likely to be "Sausau Island" and the whole area is likely to be "Vanua Levu" in the northern division of Fiji. here's a short article I found on the kraits:

http://www.nsf.gov/news/mmg//mmg_disp.cfm?med_id=55579
Quote:
A yellow-lipped sea krait (Laticauda colubrina) on the shore near Turtle Island, Fiji. This family of sea snake is quite common around islands and reefs in the Pacific Ocean. There are five species of sea kraits, four of which are marine.

The yellow-lipped sea krait is a member of the Laticaudid family and is amphibious. Sea kraits are the only group of sea snakes that are oviparous (egg laying) and must return to land to breed and lay their eggs. Laticaudid also digest their food and shed their skins on land. These traits differ from the main family of "true" sea snakes--Hydrophiidae--which have adapted so that they never have to leave water, not even to bear their young which are born live at sea.

The yellow-lipped are large, with males reaching up to 100 cm; females up to 150 cm. They are strongly banded and have highly toxic venom, but are very placid and unlikely to bite unless provoked.

The Laticauda colubrina are not endangered, but their populations have dwindled to the point of extinction on some Japanese and Philippine islands due to over-harvesting for their meat and skins.

In response to the problem, a research team decided to experiment with relocation of yellow-lips, taking snakes from other islands and releasing them where the populations had declined.*

The team chose two adjacent islands for their study, 5.3 km. apart--Mabualau (uninhabited) and Toberua (a resort island). From August to December 1998 and 1999, snakes on Mabualua were captured by hand, sexed, weighed and marked individually by clipping scales. The animals were released near the team's campsite on the island of Mabualau. On the island of Toberua, staff at the local resort captured snakes and brought them across the water to Mabualau. The researchers processed the Toberua snakes in the same manner as the others and released them near the campsite on Mabualau as well.

A total of 674 snakes from Mabualau were captured and marked and 328 from Toberua. After reviewing all their data, the team was amazed to discover extreme homing instincts in yellow-lipped sea kraits and rapid homing of snakes displaced from Toberua to Mabualau. In fact snakes originally captured on Mabualau were never recaptured on Toberua and in turn, Toberua snakes were never recaptured on Mabualau. Not only were the animals loyal to their home (island) if undisturbed, they would rapidly return if displaced for any reason. Twenty-three individuals who were recaptured multiple times and were found to have returned home very quickly, within 30.7 days.

Whether or not this strong homing instinct exists in all members of the Laticaudidae family is unknown, but a similar, shorter study on another island in the Pacific showed similar results, suggesting that there is a good possibility that it does.

[*Full results of this study appeared in Conservation Biology, Vol. 16, No. 5, October 2002.]

Credit: David Flagg, National Science Foundation

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!