Relocating wildlife (lots of photos) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
iasc300
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleysnakeguy View Post
I guess it's a lose/lose situation.
Its not a lose/lose at all. You are doing what you can and I thank you as well as other members on here do too. You are one of the few who actually act and not just talk. Keep doing what your doing because without your help it will be a lose/lose. Keep up the good work and tell your buddies the same. its appreciated

Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Tim Cole
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasc300 View Post
Its not a lose/lose at all. You are doing what you can and I thank you as well as other members on here do too. You are one of the few who actually act and not just talk. Keep doing what your doing because without your help it will be a lose/lose. Keep up the good work and tell your buddies the same. its appreciated
Doing what you can does not mean it's in the best interest of the animal.

Recent studies have shown (this was a talk at IHS last week), that crotalids tend to stay away from areas where they have had interaction with humans.

Even being moved a short distance, in this case 50 feet was enough. These animals were outfitted with radio transmitters so the data was accurate.

The same can be said for those that were moved outside of their home range which were radio tracked and succumbed.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
iasc300
Tim let me ask you a question, If you had the choice between taking a crotalid out of an area where it was conflicting with humans, ie: school where it was going to be killed or capturing it and moving it to the mountains what would choose?

They are also relocating Kings and other species as well, keep that in mind. Not just crotalids.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
valleysnakeguy
Thanks Ryan, and everyone else who supports such causes.

This same discussion can be found at fieldherpforum.com where both sides of opinion are also present. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
iasc300
You dont need to thank me Prince. I get where your coming from. People always have different opinion on everything its no big deal. I get where Tim is coming from too. I would choose to relocate them and give them the chance at survival than just let them get slaughtered or worse bite some young child out on a playground. You keep doing what your doing Prince its all for the better. Dont let anyone try and change your mind. Your doing the right thing

Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Tim Cole
Quote:
Tim let me ask you a question, If you had the choice between taking a crotalid out of an area where it was conflicting with humans, ie: school where it was going to be killed or capturing it and moving it to the mountains what would choose?

They are also relocating Kings and other species as well, keep that in mind. Not just crotalids.
Other choices and methods need to be examined.

I see what part of the problem is. EDUCATION! By removing the non-venomous snakes, rattlesnakes are being ENCOURAGED to do the same thing as the kingsnakes. The snakes would NOT be there if there wasn't a food source.

Remove the food source and the snakes will naturally stop showing up. or at least ALLOW the non-venomous snakes to stay and take care of the rodent issue so the rattlers are not attracted to the area.

I deal with these scenarios quite often. This will be a revolving door for rattlesnakes unless dealt with from an educational level.

Keep in mind, you are talking to a Yankee that arrived in Texas 26 years ago to discover that the majority of Texans that ask me to remove a rattlesnake don't have a rattlesnake but a Texas Rat Snake or Bullsnake! LOL

Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
iasc300
^lol

But still my question stands?
Would you let it be killed or remove it and relocate it?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
Tim Cole
Quote:
^lol

But still my question stands?
Would you let it be killed or remove it and relocate it?
It's not that cut and dry if they are moving all snakes.

I would move it to within a mile but it does no good with out addressing why it's there.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
iasc300
Point taken and true! But your professional opinion is the max you can move a crotalid without death?? is 1 mile?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
Wolfy-hound
If you have to choose between relocating or letting the property owner kill it, I say relocate. At the same time, try to educate about snakes and why the snakes come there, and what sort of snakes they might be able to bring in(like kingsnakes or other nonvenomous species)to discourage more rattlers from moving in perhaps? If nothing else, bringing in nonvenomous with the property owner's permission will start the process of "There are good snakes" from the old mentality of "Kill all snakes".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!