Texas is waiting - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
blueboost68
Texas is waiting

Any body heading west this year. Just wanted to see with the new law how many of you would be doing the kingsnake shuffle.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
WebSlave
What exactly is the law in Texas these days? Always wanted to go out there to drive around that area, not that I have any interest in bringing anything home with me any longer, but would love to take a boatload of pics and videos. Are most of the more interesting roads driveable in a rather low riding car, or would I need to rent a Jeep?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
blueboost68
You can road cruise, but if you see a snake you can not pick it up while it is on the road. You can only pick them up if they are on the shoulder of the road. And to do so legally you must have a small game hunting lic. with reptile stamp on it. And you also must wear a reflective vest. You can also shine the road cuts and photograph as long as you have the lic. If you would like some good roads to check out, where a low car will be no problem. pm me and i can give you some great places to go. I have over 20 years of field collecting in alterna country.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
blueboost68
Rich I see you are in tallahassee man I love wakula.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
WebSlave
You need a hunting license just to photograph animals in Texas?

Yeah, Wakulla is nice. Only been seeing lizards active quite yet, but did see a green tree frog jumping around one damp evening. We've seen our share of diamondbacks, corals, and pygmies around here. On occasion coachwhips, pines, hognose and rough greens. Even seen some scarlet kings and scarlet snakes every once in a while. Rarely see any corns, though. I don't even count black racers as we just chase them off into the woods so they don't eat our lizards.

We just had a huge rain storm on Saturday and I was hoping for a little flooding in the lower areas on the north end of our property. But no go. For some reason the box turtles love to float around in the water over there. And these weird green "shrimp" come out of nowhere. I really don't know what they are, but they look exactly like green miniatures of the shrimp we steam up for dinner. They have to pop out of the ground, as those temporary ponds are completely land locked.

The dogwoods are beginning to bloom, so it's getting ready to get REAL pretty around here.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
blueboost68
Man I just get it to be safe if LE. pulls up and you are moveing one to get a shot you are hunting because it is in your possesion.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Metachrosis
The kids around here are doing as they always have,no issues with FW
hassling or enforcing.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Tim Cole
Here's a good event for drawing you out to West Texas...http://snakedays.com/.

Rich,
If you come out for this, you're welcome to ride with me road hunting.

I may also be going out on Memorial Day weekend.

As mentioned, you will need a hunting license, a herp stamp, and a reflective vest.

Getting out and walking the cuts with a good flashlight or headlamp is what I typically do.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
blueboost68
Man I can,t wait it has been a few years. I am going to make it out next month got the vest and the fenix11 ready.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!