Eastern DiamondBack Rattlesnake's - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #111
hhmoore
Unfortunately, it doesn't take a "mistake" on your part when free handling.
I'm sorry that you had to experience that (again); but I'm glad you're still around to tell the story. Thanks for posting...hopefully, your lesson will save somebody else from learning the hard way.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #112
WebSlave
Yeah, sounds like you had a VERY close call. No matter how tame (or just acclimated to handling by humans) we may think a wild animal is, it is still a WILD animal, and by definition unpredictable when it comes to how we want them to act.

Glad you were able to stay on top of the ground a while longer.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #113
Helenthereef
I'm really sorry to hear that, I've been enjoying your posts and the reasoned way you explained your methodology and handled opposing points of view. You took the risks knowingly and I applaud the fact that you have come on and shown that it can go wrong, even for you.

I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your snakes, even if you stop freehandling. I love the concept of taking them out for some sunshine.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:50 AM   #114
zeppelin3k
Glad you are alright and recovering. Though I would never hold a venomous snake you certainly took it to a new level with sweat pea. Was she the one that gave the bite?

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #115
JButera
Kudos for posting the hospital pic and I'm glad you recovered. Was it sweet pea who got you?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #116
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
I have posted many pics of me holding my venomous snakes, now here's a pic of the consequences of free handling. You have to be willing to pay the price and this is the second and LAST time I'll pay this price.
Barry, my thoughts and prayers are with you, that you make a full recovery.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #117
54bogger
Thank you Lucille, and yes it was my girl sweetpea that got me.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:19 AM   #118
hotlips
Barry, I just now heard about this...so sorry for what you went thru and I'm so glad you're still with us. I quite agree, you don't ever want to take this risk again. You were lucky this time, very lucky...and I also hope you make a full recovery. Will you still be keeping your hots? (-only hands-off now?)

Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #119
Mech
Oh my gosh.
I just now saw this.
Barry I hope you and yours are doing ok.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your spirit.
Sweet pea and your gaboon are nothing less than beautiful.

I am an old 1%er.
I have a old pic somewhere of me a bit over 30 years ago.
I was looking like you in your hospital pic.

It was a Friday about 6-7 pm.
I was In my early 20's.
I was drinking and I was stoned.
By no means am I saying my hit was the same.

I pressed her head down with my hook and grabbed her behind the neck and she circled back and hit my left index finger.
Full hit from a baby WDB..
Nerve damage on my finger lasted near 8 years.

Being a young ass wipe, after I was on the road to recovery my wife (we just had our 34th anniversary) accidentally brushed against my lower area and it spiked my heart monitor.
We messed with the nurses for a bit before they told us to stop😜.

I love hots but after that no way can they ever be in my collection.
I'm just not good enough.

If you ever hit the Frisco area I got a good bbq and cold one for ya.
Take care.

Andy

Old 08-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #120
54bogger
Thanks Andy I will. Here's the really bad news, while I was in a coma my wife GAVE AWAY ALL my snakes!! She was never into snakes like me, but at least they all went to great homes. Sweetpea is at the Edisto Serpentarium and the retic's are at Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach S.C.
I'm now in the process of looking for a Green Anaconda, I sold the one that I had and regret it EVERYDAY now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!