My Biggest Fear!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Matt2979
My Biggest Fear!!!

Okay, this is my biggest fear concerning my reptiles--lol!! I've always loved to see other's pics taken outside, but been afraid that my snake would take off, up the tree, across the yard, or anywhere that I couldn't catch it. I've since realized that "they" are too slow to get away from me. "They" being my ball pythons and boas. My dragon...different story!!

I took Clyde out to get some nice pics, showing the potential of a baby that I placed an ad for. Too bad I didn't have a video running when he LEPT off my arm and tore through the shrubs until he was resting up against my house. I already needed to clear out some briars and vines...he gave me good reason to get it done today!

With a snake hook, I coaxed him far enough away from the house to where I could pick him up. I had him almost out of the tangles of vines, and out of my hand he lept AGAIN, and buried himself further into the brush!

With a stink-bug on her face, my wife helped to hold some of the shrubbery out of my way, as I crawled through briars to get to him again. I've never seen him so dark, but his entire body was nearly black! Again, wish I'd taken pics of that. Moreso, I REALLY wish I'd gotten pics of him TRYING TO EAT ME!!!!

He was such a sweetheart...before he went through puberty! I never thought I'd have to worry about him being aggresive, but now I'm not sure what to think.

And I am wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems/situations. Mainly the aggressiveness from a breeding male. I didn't get pics of all the action, but here's the pretty boy that gave me such grief only moments ago!!

(Last pic is him, safely back in a tub, somewhat calmed down from trying to eat my toes and/or fingers!!)
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
will11780
Ive had that same problem with my male sandfire named bubba he lpves roaming the house so figured he would be ok out in the lawn he sat still for about 30 seconds then shot out my yard over to the neighbors wood pile when i finally cought him with his mouth wide open and puffed up as big as he could he is no longer aloud out without a leash and harness but my sandfire german giant will just walk round eat some dandelions and pretty much just soak up the sun both of them are breeders and are the same age

Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
frillielover17
What happened is completely normal although pretty scary when you don't expect it to happen. Most beardies will be on high alert when outside because they are in an unfamiliar setting and birds and planes will be flying overhead which may scare them. It has happened to me when I brought some of my dragons out for the first time. Luckily they were in their outdoor enclosure or on a harness but still equally as frightening.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by will11780 View Post
Ive had that same problem with my male sandfire named bubba he lpves roaming the house so figured he would be ok out in the lawn he sat still for about 30 seconds then shot out my yard over to the neighbors wood pile when i finally cought him with his mouth wide open and puffed up as big as he could he is no longer aloud out without a leash and harness but my sandfire german giant will just walk round eat some dandelions and pretty much just soak up the sun both of them are breeders and are the same age
Yeah, I think that's the last time that he'll go outside without a leash!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillielover17 View Post
What happened is completely normal although pretty scary when you don't expect it to happen. Most beardies will be on high alert when outside because they are in an unfamiliar setting and birds and planes will be flying overhead which may scare them. It has happened to me when I brought some of my dragons out for the first time. Luckily they were in their outdoor enclosure or on a harness but still equally as frightening.
He's been outside, but it was several months ago, and he was in a tub. Yesterday, I just picked him up and carried him like a football. If you notice in the pics, that's basically how I was holding him there. He had just licked my arm and seemed fine.

I didn't even think of him seeing a bird, but he just leapt off! That's what really scared me, as I'm over 6 feet so he fell quickly about 4 feet and hit the ground with a THUD! He scooted through the bushes so quickly, I was afraid that he was gonna get out of reach before I could do anything about it!

He's never even acted like he would bite me, but after I got him out of the shrubs (for the second time) he twisted around, trying to get my finger. When he couldn't, he just flattened out, still twisted around about as far as he could, and opened his mouth as wide as he possibly could and hissed a little. He didn't make a lot of noise, but just kind of froze in that position, his whole body was darker than I've ever seen! Scratching his head calmed him down...'til I tried to pick him up again!!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Beardiefreak26
my female did that when i set her in the grass this morning to get some pics but she didn't hiss and she didn't go under a bush just out in the middle of the yard she flattened out with her mouth wide open and ran at me i honestly thought it was kinda funny but i wasn't scared i was gonna lose her and I've been bit by her during feeding and they do draw blood

Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
sagespyder@yahoo.com
i have a red male that whenever i take him out to soak he always tried to crawl out of the wading pool i bought for my dragons. mind the females in there with him just sit and soak up the sun but he tries to get out 100% of the time. once he had been able to climb up and out and almost got under the fence to my neighbors back yard if i have not grabbed him and called my husband to dig out some ground from beneath him so that i was able to get a better grasp of him and pull him out.

to this day he still tries to get out of the wading pool, the only difference is i sit with my back to the fence. my closest pet store doesn't carry a lot of reptile things and that includes harnesses. the next one besides it is 45 mins away on the freeway. i really don't have much choice other than being there with them and watching every move :P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!