Looking to gain experience. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
FireFighter536
Looking to gain experience.

I am wanting to eventually become a venomous snake handler and keeper. I have zero experience in handling anything venomous. I actually have never even been around anything venomous (besides in a cage.) I have very limited experience in handling any snake at all. I have handle a few but all the ones that I have handled have been very docile like Ball Pythons, Burms, Red Tails, things like that. I am located in Webb City Missouri, Just a few miles north of Joplin. If anyone is from around this are or knows of anyone from this area that would be willing to teach and train me on handling snakes and eventually venomous snakes I would greatly appreciate it. I am not one of those guys that is going to jump into this blind. I want and need a few years of training and experience in handling snakes before I even think about getting my first hot.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
RDLinATL
Well good for you for wanting to do it right. A lot of people preach it but only about half of those actually did it right. Personally I didn't do that just because I couldn't find a trainer so I did about 500 hours (literally) of pure research and got a copperhead (fairly good first snake). However I've had experience with many non hots before hand and have caught many more. This comment will probably be ridiculed for what I'm about to say but if you truly want a hot, do the research, get a water snake for a while, then get a non aggressive hot. If you believe in yourself as a smart capable being it will work out.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
serpentsofdistinction
I have been working with hots for about 15 years now. I can say no non venomous will train you for working with hots. And there is no venomous snake with training wheels. If you can't find a mentor first you need to do much research. Then must buy the right equipment. Including special enclosures. Not fish tanks. Next you need to think about the people you live with. Most of us have a Hot room in the house or an out building. That is escape proof and locked up like Fort Knox. I have had non venomous snakes for 25 years prior to my first venomous snake. Each venomous snake is different according to their individual personality. I've had spitting cobras that are as laid back as a corn snake. And rattlesnakes like a holy terror. And visa versa. Don't get a venomous snake just to get a venomous snake. Find a species that totally interests you. And learn everything you can about them. Also think about where you live. Example USA. It's probably better to start with a crotalids because in case of an emergency it is easier to get local antivenom rather than something from Africa or Asia. Copperheads are great, some rattlesnake species are also really nice to work with. My favorite snakes in the world are Timber rattlesnakes. In some areas you may need a special permit because they may be native. Another good site to join and ask questions on is venomousreptiles.org it is very informative and many guys there can answer questions for you. You may even find one in your area to help you out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!