Chameleonsonly.com starter kits - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #1
pcfreak
Chameleonsonly.com starter kits

Does this have all the things you need for a cham, except for the plants?
thanks,
Jacob

Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 AM   #2
PaulSage
Well, I don't keep chameleons anymore, but...

I like the fact that they have all three vitamins, calcium and mineral supplements. I don't care much for the Zoo Med analog thermometers. I don't think they're terribly accurate. We had them at the store where I worked, and you could open a box of a dozen of them, and all 12 would display different temperatures. Besides, I think you would want two thermometers anyway--one for the warm side, and one for the cool side. I would probably go with a lazer-sighted temperature gun.

Oh, and maybe a spray bottle for misting and a good book for reference.

Otherwise though, I honestly think that's the best set-up I've ever seen offerred for chameleons. Again, just my opinion.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Matthias
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak
Does this have all the things you need for a cham, except for the plants?
thanks,
Jacob
They're ok, but if you look at bigappleherp.com, you can probably get everything that the kammer's sell for cheaper. The kammer's are good people to buy chameleons from (they're where I got mine) but their specialty isn't in the misc. supply side. And if there is something that you can't get from bigappleherp, you can order separately from chameleonsonly.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Matthias
although i guess to directly answer your question, which seems to be, "is there anything other than this stuff that i need to buy" ... one thing which i have had reccomended and seems to work well is lengths of bamboo which i cut to fit the enclosure and then washers/tiny screws so that they can go across the habitat. you an get these from garden sections of stores. also, i designed my own water collection system. you're going to be pouring a lot of water through the enclosure and both your chameleon and its feeders (especially crickets) are susceptible to drowning.

you'll also want some reptisafe to decholorinate any water you put in. as well as basking lamps of different wattages if there's going to be any temperature flux in the room as a whole. also just to monkey around to find the right one. and as previously suggested, you'll want a more reliable thermometer & hygrometer than the analog ones.

and then there's just misc. stuff that you never think about until you're actually doing it (soil to replace the top layer for your plants), zip ties to hold things together,maybe something for your lamp to clamp onto, etc., etc.

not to mention whatever you need for your feeders.

so the list provided by chameleonsonly is a good baseline, but simply assume that there's about 50% more stuff that you're not going to realize that you need before you actually get into the setup process. (and the little things are often the most indepensible... i bought a cricket-tainer as a tackon to my supply order and it's great to gather and dust the feeders).

Old 07-01-2005, 12:03 AM   #5
pcfreak
1.) ZooMed 100 Watt Powersun UVB Heat Bulb
2.) Ceramic extra large heat lamp (10")
3.) Vines
4.) Bamboo
5.) Hygrometer
6.) Temperature gun
7.) Rainmaker 1 misting kit
8.) Cricket Keeper
9.) Potting soil with no additives
10.) Feeding cup
11.) Live plants (Hibiscus, Schleffera, Pothos, Ficus, etc)
12.) Spray bottle
13.) Supplements(not sure which to get. The cham will be in the basement and will never go outside for the most part)
heres the list of the stuff im going to get.(im still deciding which materials im going to build my cage with so thats why I dont have any supplies for making the cage on the list.)
Thanks,
Jacob

Old 07-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Dave W.
Howdy,

A few thought:

You may want to skip the Powersun and use a Reptisun 5.0 as your UVB source. Add a 50-100w basking lamp as a heat source. Tune it positioning for the right temps. See this post for some of the reasons - http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=14228

Is the "ceramic heat lamp" the fixture or a ceramic heat source? If it is a heat source that you intend to use at night, then you probably won't need it unless you are going below the mid-60'sF at night.

Many of us have been very happy with the combo temperature/humidity meter from Lowe's made by AcuRite for about $17.

For Tempguns, the PE-2 from http://www.tempgun.com/specs.html is good. It has a Field of View (D:S Ratio) 8:1 . That means you can be 8 inches away and measure a small spot of 1 inch in diameter and so on. The higher the ratio the better-off you are - 10:1 is better...

Home Depot sells a nice hand-held pump-up sprayer that holds over a quart of water for about $7. Many of us supplement water (like when outside) with it along with our misting systems.

Herptivite for vitamins and either Rep-Cal/D3 or Miner-all (I) [(I) stands for inside and (O) is for outside] since you won't be using natural sunlight much. Go easy on the supplements....

Good luck with your shopping!

Old 07-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
Borewyrm
One option would also to buy a nice sizes reptarium and use that a couple of times a week to take the cham outside. It blocks some of the UV rays but not all and it wont cook him alive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!