bloody prolapse advice???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
WizardLizards
Exclamation bloody prolapse advice????

I just looked in my Tremper pairs cage, and noticed a quarter sized spot of blood. Upon lifting the hide I found two more about the same size. He is prolapse, and while it does not look like he is bleeding much, he obviously was earlier. I have him in a sugar soak now, and I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow. How bad is it that he is bleeding. I am pretty worried. I checked on them this morning and did not notice the blood so I believe it just started today, but I will admit I haven't checked him out in about two days. I was more worried about seeing if she was gravid. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks
Tony

Old 11-30-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
neatochickens27
is it a male or female?

Old 11-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
WizardLizards
Male, it his hemipenis

Old 11-30-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Jeremy Letkey
Tony, I wish I could be of more help. I have only had one gecko prolapse (male mack snow AAAHHHH) There was no bleeding involved. After several days of sugar/kyro syrup soaks and many applications of preperation H. He retracted on his own. I saw it on a thursday. It was berfore The Tinley Park show. I only got to give him soaks at night as I was gone all day. I had a Vet appointment scheduled for Tuesday after the show, for what probally would have been an amputation. Monday morning he was good as new. I think he heard me on the phone.

Keep him seperate and sterile. A simple enclosure with moist paper towels.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Linz M
...that's awful.

I've dealt with a couple prolapses but none that involved the bleeding you describe. I think Jeremy covered it all... don't know how much is hanging out, but just try and keep it moist until he gets to the vet cause if the tissue dries/shrivels, the only choice seems to be to amputate.

Could she have nailed him with her teeth too? Or is it just a really nasty prolapse?

Sorry man, that's terrible. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
WizardLizards
It looks to be both sides of the hempenis hanging out, and one side looks as if it has some white stuff on it. I soaked him in sugar water and applied corn syrup to the area. I plan on getting him to the vet tomorrow, but it was too late tonight to make an appointment so I hope they can fit me in.

The worst part is that I don't really know how long he has been like this. I check their enclosure every day, and I pick the female up and inspect her to look for signs that she might be gravid. Poor guy, I haven't really given him a second glance. But like I posted above, I didn't notice the blood until this evening.

I am really bummed, firstly that he is in this shape. I hate to see any of my leos sick. Secondly he is the second tremper male I planned to use for breeding. The first I tried a few months back appears to blind in one eye, and was overly aggressive to the females so I decided not to breed him. He is a Giant too. Stuff like this makes me reconsider the whole breeding decision.

I just hope he will be ok.

Tony

Old 12-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
neatochickens27
Sorry, i was deffinately under the influence when i made that post.But anyway, im sorry to hear this.If its bleeding theres a good chance it will need to be amputated.Like everyone said keep it moist/wet.Id put a mixture of a little sugar and water in a spray bottle and spray the area twice a day or however many needed.Get him to a vet asap.Good luck.

-Dave

Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
WizardLizards
Prolapse Update

I took "Striker" to the vet tonight, and he was able to coax the hemipenis partially back into the vent. He used cold compresses, and gave him a shot of Metacam to reduce the swelling. I was told to apply Preparation H, and it should retract fully. He did say that there was some tissue damage, as evidenced by the blood but he told me that it should be fine, and if it doesn't clear up to bring him back on Monday. Poor Striker was PISSED, I guess I would be too if cold compresses were applied to my....um well never mind.

Keep your fingers crossed for the big guy.

Tony

Old 12-02-2005, 01:35 AM   #9
Linz M
That's a great prognosis...considering all the blood. And hey, I'm right there with you and Striker - a cold stethoscope is bad enough!! Oh well. Hopefully the, um, 'shrinkage factor' is working in his favor!

Old 12-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #10
neatochickens27
Im glad to hear hes going to be alright, but would he ever be able to breed again?Im not to famaliar with the affects of a prolapse.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!