Rattlesnake shed?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
teleplayer
Rattlesnake shed?!

Okay guys. I was outside yesterday and I found this shed. Now first let me tell you that I keep venomous snakes. To me this looks like a diamondback rattlesnake shed or some sort of a rattlesnake shed. You can clearly see at least one clear diamond in the shed. I've compared it to my rattlesnakes sheds and it looks pretty spot on. The only reason I'm baf fold by it is because I live in Indiana and obviously there isn't any native rattlesnakes in Indiana with that pattern. I really didn't want to post this anywhere because if this is a non native rattlesnake the less people that know about it the better. But I Figure if i can trust anybody i can trust the reptile community.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
teleplayer
Thoughts? Opinions? Do you think it's a diamondback shed or something else?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
IMAJACOBIAN
The most dependable way in this area is to look at the anal plate scale. We'll talk assuming it's native and not an exotic released. If it has 2 rows of scales behind(toward the tail) the anal plate, then it is non venomous. If there are 1 row of scales, then it is venomous. Check out this link. http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/kysnakebook.pdf about a third of the way down. That is assuming it's native to this area and this link is about Ky, but should be the same I beleive. Now, if it were somthing along the line of a type of boa or python that is not native, it will have only one row, but of course non venomous. I have noticed that with rattlers, they have more stretch/skin between the scales of loose sheds, than say a colubrid like you would find in this area. Also, when you find them in the wild, the skins always apear like they belong to a much larger animal than they actually do. If you have a piece of the head, you may be able to see the shape of the head and the pit sensor in the shed skin. It's hard to tell what species they are, but if I were to guess of the top of my head, I would say black rat. I don't know your area, but if I see a snake in my area(N. Ky) it's almost always a black rat or a copperhead.

Jacob

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
rattlesnake, shed