What is best to clear up egg mold? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
HerpAddict
Question What is best to clear up egg mold?

Hi,

I was wondering what anybody uses to clear up mold that forms on eggs? And if you could also tell me how you use it, that would be awesome!

I have a 31 day old crested egg that is a little fuzzy, but I'm almost 100% positive that it's fertile because it glows pink/red, and I can see a mass in it.

Thanks a lot!
Amanda Heaton

Old 05-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
CrazyRhacos
just leave it that is what i would do.a guy on a diffrent forum had a N.l.levis egg mold but some thing was in it so he left it and it hatched.if it lives it lives if not then owell thats what nature intended for it.but that is just my opinion.

-Jeff Bogdanoff
CrazyRhacos.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
HerpAddict
I've been having so much egg troubles lately, I just want to do whatever I can to help them out, because I feel so bad!

Thanks though !

Old 05-31-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
Milwaukee Reptiles
I've heard of peope using a foot powder, although I've never done it myself. My eggs tend to dry out more than be too humid because I keep them in the basement. Look for verification on the subject before you take my word for it though.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
HerpAddict
Other than googling it, this is me asking for verification on the foot powder approach. I read in a post by Wendy Collins that she uses desenex, but I wasn't sure in what form, or how she applies it.

Thanks again,

Old 05-31-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
Golden Gate Geckos
moldy eggs

Plain old cornstarch.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
sircat
wow, sorry for the continuing egg problems...I hope it goes well...I've never heard of the foot powder method but sounds interesting...
not sure...is your incubator at 80 or more? maybe try it at 74-78?
I know your ratio must be good after all the previous posts trying to figure things out...
what kind of tupperware are you keeping them in and how are the holes? are you opening them so they get fresh air about once a week?
hope you can figure out how to solve the problems that are popping up

Old 06-01-2005, 02:27 AM   #8
PaulSage
I had a clutch of corn snake eggs develop fungus last year. I had searched and searched for what to use to treat it. It had gotten pretty bad by the time I finally found what I thought I needed (I never heard of corn starch, but I'll definitely give that a try if it re-occurs... thanks!). I have no idea where I found the info, but it suggested athlete's foot powder. It couldn't be just any powder though, there was some ingredient that most of them have that I guess is harmful. Most athlete's foot stuff is spray it seems now, but this is the one I found and used. Of the 17 eggs, only 3 hatched. I don't know what to attribute it to, but the three that hatched successfully had plenty of the powder on them, so I don't think the powder caused the other ones to die. Maybe the clutch was just doomed from the start.

...now that I'm reading the back of the bottle, it lists corn starch as one of the inactive ingredients...
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!