Are you afraid to buy high end snakes due to potential legislation? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

View Poll Results: Are you afraid to invest in snakes due to potential legislation?
Absolutely 10 10.31%
Somewhat 38 39.18%
Not at all 38 39.18%
Its the economy 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #31
hhmoore
The proposed change would not prevent people from owning or breeding the species...it is all about transport, whether that be import, export, or interstate.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #32
bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The proposed change would not prevent people from owning or breeding the species...it is all about transport, whether that be import, export, or interstate.
Thank you for the clarification, greatly appreciated!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #33
garweft
Which translates to.... No out-of-state competition!!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #34
TailsWithScales
Yes it would certainly limit out of state competition. lol

But really part of me questions exactly how they plan to enforce this??
I could see this causing EVERY large snake breeder /seller to probably end up in the long run shutting it's door simply because of not wanting to risk being caught. For example (and this is just an example) Prehistoric Pets is one of the largest large snake breeders in this state, California, if not the largest. They ship out daily and world wide. I don't see that continuing at all if this passes. The state market will then be flooded and in turn prices dumped etc.
Granted this is a absolute worse case scenario.
But I don't see where this would really effect a small - private breeder because they wouldn't be tracked or even remotely in the spot light the same as a large breeder.

So really IF the worst happens would a small time breeder really have anything to fear?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #35
Reptileman81
[quote=bear;Anyways i encourage everyone to keep calling who they need to call to put the pressure in the other direction and also dont give up, if this bill goes through, make it so costly for them to enforce that they have to undo it.

p.s if this all goes down and you want boa morphs call me![/QUOTE]

Here here!!! Stick it to the man lol.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:31 AM   #36
Reptileman81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Anyways i encourage everyone to keep calling who they need to call to put the pressure in the other direction and also dont give up, if this bill goes through, make it so costly for them to enforce that they have to undo it.

p.s if this all goes down and you want boa morphs call me!

Here Here!!! Stick it to the man lol.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #37
bear
christine, I agree Preh. Pets, Pete Kahl, all the big guys wont be able to do much unless they scale down big time. This is another reason I think this just wont happen or will be reversed quickly. The only reason a law maker would do something so irresponsible and negative to the economy is ignorance (moneys up there too), as soon as it had a noticeable effect and people started making noise they could not justify this bill any longer if at all to start with.

On a side note, if this did happen, i would have to start adding delivering within a few states into my price, and yes I would take the risk if I were delivering personally. Mailing might be asking for it but personal delivery im sure wont get me in trouble. My vehicle has never been searched and I doubt it ever will be. I would assume that most small guys will adapt to something along those lines and figure a discreet way to advertise.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #38
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
This is what I don't understand...

If the whole point of the ban is because they're "dangerous" and the whole Florida spiel, why the heck are they just banning transport. What exactly is that going to solve?

Now, I'm not encouraging legislation to go through banning these species totally, but I'm not understanding why they think this is going to solve anything? The only thing they will be successful in doing is making companies go out of business.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #39
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
This is what I don't understand...

If the whole point of the ban is because they're "dangerous" and the whole Florida spiel, why the heck are they just banning transport. What exactly is that going to solve?
It is supposed to stop all the people from northern states running south to Florida to release their burms when they get too big, since people releasing pets is the main theory behind HSUS/PETA's argument to get them on the lacey act. (said tongue in cheek)

It also means if I move out of state it's a felony to take my pets across state lines .

It's a shame the pressure (money and political) from the animal 'rights' groups has so much pull, hopefully us as reptile keepers will continue to push for our freedom to responsibly keep these wonderful creatures in captivity and our collective voices will continue to have an impact.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #40
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
It is supposed to stop all the people from northern states running south to Florida to release their burms when they get too big, since people releasing pets is the main theory behind HSUS/PETA's argument to get them on the lacey act. (said tongue in cheek)
Is our government really that stupid to believe that?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!