Has anything like this happened with anybody else? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
OEdwards
Has anything like this happened with anybody else?

Okay so I house to females to a 5x3x3 cage and I have two girls in particular that have gotten to be unfriendly with one another. It is one girl that is gravid and the other is not the gravid girl will see the other come out from the hide (a bottom half of a box with a door cut out) and she runs up to the basking spot bobs her head runs down and tries to bite the back of her neck. This sounds like a male behavior but I know for a fact niether of them are for they have both laid before. Any suggestions, they have never had problems till now and the amount of food they get is not a problem I feed them till they do not want to eat any more.
Thanks
OEdwards

Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
barbie
In mating season I found that if a female is gravid or wanting to breed she will display as a male! Its a desire to breed the animal instinct will often cause mounting, head bobbing, and neck bitting. I overtime have made the choice to not house female together due to aggression during thier cycles. It may just be that they are very grown females that need thier space now. Dominance is in thier nature Liz tried to eat/kill (not sure wich) Cleo this year after being house together for almost a year! So just to be safe i would seperate them before they hurt each other, Good Luck!!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Bill T
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie View Post
In mating season I found that if a female is gravid or wanting to breed she will display as a male! Its a desire to breed the animal instinct will often cause mounting, head bobbing, and neck bitting. I overtime have made the choice to not house female together due to aggression during thier cycles. It may just be that they are very grown females that need thier space now. Dominance is in thier nature Liz tried to eat/kill (not sure wich) Cleo this year after being house together for almost a year! So just to be safe i would seperate them before they hurt each other, Good Luck!!

We never keep adults together

Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
reptilebaby
I thought about keeping my girls together when they grow up, but I think I'll keep em separate.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
barbie
Good call

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!