All BD breeders should read this... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
OEdwards
All BD breeders should read this...

I know that I myself and everyone else out there hates PARASITES. As our responsibility as Bearded Dragon Breeders we should all test our breeders for parasites prior to and even after breeding to ensure maximum health. I believe that if this message or a message like this were to be sent to every breeder we could substantially reduce the parasitic infection of bearded dragons. So what you need to do this at home can be found at beautifuldragons.com(This not meant as advertising but as an informer.)
Materials:
1 Microscope-$135
Fecasol-8oz.-$6
Fecal Testers-$45 for 50
Parasite ID chart-$5
Microscope slide-$8
Microscope Cover Slips-$6
Albon-$9(If Needed)
Pancur-$6-$15(If Needed)
Needleless Syringes-$1 a Piece(If Needed)
For those breeders like me that do perform fecals tops off to you. For those that do not there is now no excuse not to for I have given you a list of supplies and where to obtain them. And if you still do not test your breeders then there is no point in breeding for you are bring unhealthy dragons into a world that I hope will no longer tolerate such things. And if you still are reluctant to test them than do not ever bother taking part in breeding It is not worth it. But for those of you that do we are upholding a standard and it is a small price to pay for a rewarding business.

Also quarantine any new dragon you get please Even if you do not breed for I personal hate it when someone complains back that one of my dragons is dead or is no longer active and I ask them if they have them in with furniture from a previous dragon or are housing them with a dragon other than a sibling dragon and they say yes... I tell them that they should probably blame themselves for no proper quarantine before introducing foreign bodies. And before swapping out furniture between cages or introducing a dragon to new furniture BAKE IT! at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
Please help reduce infectious parasites and keep hygiene to a max!

Thank You,
OEdwards

Old 03-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
reptilebaby
Great information! Good to know where to get supplies for testing. I think I'll get things there too.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
mikepanzarella
i use her for most of my supply's

Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
august quion
Great info and I have been doing my own testing for over a year and keep over 30 dragons and have had to treat 3 of them over the past year all three were picky eaters,foul poop, on the skinny side and heavy loads of pin and round worms and high coccidia. I do watch level of pin and coccidia in dragons just out of brumation its crazy how fast counts drop after 5 weeks of eating good diet and soaking twice a week with no medication yea I look at poop every week and love it and I only medicate if high counts last more than a month. I do have to say that in my opinion there are a few great big breeders that i know out their that don't treat for parasites, why because they cull any that fall victim to parasites, this is actually good for the strength of the dragon lines in my opinion. I would rather have a dragon that is from a female with a natural good immune system that keeps parasites at low levels than a female that has been treated several times with panacur and albon. (just my 2 cents)

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
OEdwards
Yes I have some girls that never have had parasites and I have had some that I bought that are loaded with them. Proud to say that when I get any with parasites I treat them and I have rarely well have not yet seen any more parasites on treated animals or at least at not high enough amounts to detect.
An example is my girl Cynthia I got her at 5 months old the guy said she was 98 grams but she was 91 grams and then she released her BM all over the cage going down to 86 grams. I used that for fecal exams she was LOADED with parasites. She is now at 276 grams just 2 months later. When I got her she was not tame and affraid of me today I can see that she loves me and shows me great respect for all I did for her. So I have found fecals also increas BD and owner trust. The seller said she ate like crazy so if she was such a crazy eater then why was she not bigger, she is now a truly crazy eater for she is now given food to eat. Take care of your pets people it is not hard( only meant to those that neglect them).

Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
reptilebaby
Wow. Sounds like your girl is doing great!

My babies from you are doing well. Eleuria likes to have her head rubbed. And she is so tame she'll run up your arm the minute it's in her cage.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
witblits
Wow!

This to me is quite interesting. In South Africa this would be totally illegal!

I had a look at the website (http://www.beautifuldragons.com) and totally agree that it is very important to deworm reptiles and in particular, because of their poor hygiene, bearded dragons.

BUT, that is why veterinarians study for 7 years (in SA, not sure about USA?). They know when to deworm. Not all dragons with parasites in their stools should be dewormed! In fact they MUST NOT!

If you guys deworm beardeds every time you see parasites or their eggs in the stool then you will very soon sit with a real and massive problem! You are creating what is called 'super worms'! These are parasites that are resistant to anthelminthic remedies.

Also in South Africa a layperson (like the owner at beautiful dragons) are by law not allowed to sell medication especialy scheduled drugs like Baytril, Flagyl and amoxycillin).

What does the law say about this in USA?

Goodbye

Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
witblits
Also what does the law in USA state about (re)packing a 'name brand product' (like Flagyl) into smaller volumes and stamping your name on it?

Sorry if this seems like an attack on beautifuldragons.com, it isn't. I just want to know. If it is legal then they are doing nothing wrong. If it is illegal, well then...

Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
OEdwards
This is not a discussion about what is legal and not but to inform breeders.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Draco11
Great post and I too have stocked up with fecal's material. So I can keep my dragons healthy and happy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!