NORTH CARLINA BAN HB554 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
millipede
Angry NORTH CARLINA BAN HB554

HB554 is an insidious new bill that is being powered by the anti-pet/reptile/zoo organization The Humane Society of the United States. I urge anyone who believes in the right to own exotic pets of ANY kind (bird, reptile, fish, mammal) to take a look at this article and the arguments I have presented.

While this ban only effects mammals at the time being, we all know that the HSUS will never stop trying to add species and using 'public safety concerns' to attain their goals of removing the legalization of most animals as pets. Please also take into consideration the impacts this will have on smaller zoos (in regards to the 'dangerous' species).

Link HERE. Please contact North Carolina's representatives. I cannot stress enough how important this is. We need to have a voice. Thank you.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Taking Up Serpents
Unfortunately the bill has moved forward. Good news is it has amendments and exemptions everyone can work with and is still going through revisions.
The exotic mammal folks really pulled together on this. As one of the few reptile keepers in this state to engage the issue on their behalf I want to thank you for posting this. Solidarity in the exotics community as a whole is our best chance of survival.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
rodneynboalich
Best part about all this is wyatt claimed his bmps would prevent bills like this....any kind of amendments are nothing more then compromises on behalf of the exotic industry. ...look at the compromises the we're promises in ohio and look how that ended...As for NC s bmps see if you can use them to your advantage as been being already existing laws that would conflict with any new regulations that that would be put in place with the new legislation. ...you can't have two laws that are in total contrast to each other...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Taking Up Serpents
BMPs are applied only to reptiles. There are no reptiles on the bill. There's an interesting story in and of itself as to why they are not and will not be added to the bill. As it stands this is the same DWA legislation H$U$ pushes in other states minus the reptiles.
I'm no big cat savant or expert. I'm following the lead of those in my state with more experience. H$U$ and their groupies that sponsored the bill (Carolina Tiger Rescue) have fought hard for no exemptions or amendments. So far there has been a USDA exemption and the insane and nonexistent insurance policy that was impossible to get has been dropped among the amendments. The goal is to amend the law until it looks nothing like the H$U$ version and reflects one that all responsible exotic mammal keepers can live with. You originally had only one NC stakeholder supporting the bill and 20+ others opposing it. That along with all of us filling the hallways at the hearing made an impression on lawmakers.
You can't just sign petitions, send emails and letters or donate to a trade org. You have to make a showing at these hearings to get the full recognition.
Honestly, when it comes to writing a law for big cat and primate folks I have not much room to speak. Being a reptile guy and all. But I told them if we can beat this they should write their own BMPs or set up apprenticeship programs like the falconers (NC is one of few states that has legal falconry) before th enemy can regroup and come at them again. It's one of the few reasons reptiles were left out.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
snakesareawesome
I don't ever plan to own any furries but I think people who have the right insurance and setups should be allowed to keep them. Yes, I believe we should be somewhat concerned about public safety but once the right caging and protocols are in place this is risk that can be managed. Public safety can be improved by making sure people drive responsibly and have access to health care and that will be 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more good than worrying about the outside chance that a single individual could be harmed by an exotic mammal. I am now a firm believer than risk management must be taught in schools because the average american seems to focus on everything *except* the things we know actually cause health problems in our country.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:33 AM   #6
millipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Up Serpents View Post
But I told them if we can beat this they should write their own BMPs or set up apprenticeship programs like the falconers (NC is one of few states that has legal falconry) before th enemy can regroup and come at them again. It's one of the few reasons reptiles were left out.
Can you expand on this? You seem to be very knowledgeable about things I'm unaware of.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
rodneynboalich
Big cats are an easy target with bmps for reptiles it would make a lot of work to undo current laws and rewrite them.... I'm guessing they think it will be easier to go after other stuff

Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Taking Up Serpents
Melissa- NC has laws for certain reptiles and falconry. The reptile law is known as BMPs (Best Management Practices) or for us locals in NC; Article 55. It is common sense practices like locking/latching enclosures for large constrictors, crocs and venomous. Bite protocols for venomous and escape plans for all listed species.
Falconry guidelines are everything from years under sponsorship, then years in apprenticeship, knowing basic biology and constructing your own aviary that is inspected and knowledge is tested by state wildlife officials. Under these guidelines and through the falconry guild one can legally own, breed (certain species) and hunt with birds of prey.
Now what I meant was that if this bill is defeated the big cat and large mammal folks should propose a law based on BMPs and the falconry apprenticeship program. Meld the two together. Because big cats rae not birds, are not reptiles that are not big cats. So adjustments for the species and current federal regulations would be needed. But this concept is one everyone (except H$U$ who wants to eradicate exotics) can agree and live with. It ensures not just any inexperienced person can acquire a big cat (apprenticeship solves that), keep it in a dog kennel or spare bedroom (BMP caging requirements and USDA/APHIS caging requirements solve that) and lawmakers get to look like they did something by passing it.
One of the many problems with the NC big cat bill is it was written by H$U$, proposed by one cat rescue and is opposed by the other 20+ stakeholders in NC. The NCVMA was only given the section of the bill that involves them and their work. They said that part looked okay. They did not see the rest of the bill though. Only the snippet that would affect them. They saw no problem with that part and H$U$, Carolina Tiger Rescue and the bill sponsor used that to say NCVMA endorsed the law. Once NCVMA saw the law in it's entirety they did not fully support the bill. Especially upon seeing the part about 15ft minimum distance; as this would prevent veterinarian students from studying listed animals in this bill.

Rodney- BMPs did play a part, you are correct there. Our numbers and passion did as well. The bill's sponsor was heard saying to H$U$ and Carolina Tiger Rescue, "If you include reptiles in this bill it will be D.O.A. They will not just fill the halls at every meeting, they will flood the entire floor."
That's one of the other reasons. For years I have been saying BMPs are a great preemptive action to block AR efforts to attack us state by state (death by a thousand cuts). I don't have a radio or youtube show and am just a regular jerk off in the grand scheme. So I gave up that war cry. But I saw the writing on the wall and helplessly watched as state by state we were assaulted. Some we won, others we lost. But if we win and take no action, or if the fight has not come to us and we just wait for the warning shot; we will be hit again and again until they get something. We write our rules so no one writes them for us. It's the only way it works so that my kids may have a chance to move to another state with their burms or anacondas should they choose. Hell, at this point I'm concerned just for them being able to keep reptiles at all.
I'm not saying BMPs will solve everything. But it's a helluva start for one arena of combat: the state and local level. Then efforts can be concentrated in other areas.
And I just want to be real clear on one thing:
I hate the fact that to enjoy, keep and work with animals now I have to get involved with politics. I was never a political person. But when API came after my state in 2005 and played every trick in the AR playbook I became very.....aware. lol So even with every victory and win there's this sting that comes with my joy and it says; "we shouldn't have to deal with this in the first place."

Old 05-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
CwnAnnwn
Come on guys, have you seen a vicious attack from a loris?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Syd_BUbl5A

Real freaking man eater there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!