East African Gaboon Viper - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #61
nickolasanastasiou
My, my. She sure is pretty.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #62
54bogger
Thanks, yes she is. She is not NEAR as evil as some people would have you to believe.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #63
54bogger
Here's a old pic of her from about 4 months ago.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #64
54bogger
This is when I first began working with Ginger......Enjoy!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #65
54bogger
After a shed.......Enjoy!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #66
54bogger
Nice pic...... Enjoy!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #67
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
The point of this thread is just simply show my snakes to others just like on many other threads on here.
There is a member here ,Yasin, he has a thread showing his venomous snakes, they are beautiful.
This thread is different, it does not simply show off your beautiful gabby, it shows off free handling, and some people have opinions on that subject. You seem as if you feel it is OK to post your opinion, but you do not want to hear others with differing opinions.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #68
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
Thanks, yes she is. She is not NEAR as evil as some people would have you to believe.
I think the point people are trying to impress is that no, the snake itself is not evil, it's a WILD animal. It doesn't think like a human being. It doesn't recognize you as a friend. It doesn't feel love, kinship, affection, or have any interest in your welfare. It does not think about whether or not it WANTS to bite you or not. It will not feel regret if it bites you because it mistakes your hand for a rat and you die. It will not understand why you don't come around to feed it any longer nor what that awful smell of your decomposing body in your bedroom is.

Heck, I can't list the number of times I have had nonvenomous snakes that have never expressed any hint of wanting to bite before, just turn the head and latch onto my arm or a finger. I remember particularly a california king that without any warning suddenly lunged at my face. Luckily my reflexes were quicker than they are today or I could have gotten an eyeball snagged and punctured. Lord only knows how many times I've gotten bitten by corn snakes just from plain old feed response. It happens. They are wild animals. They are designed to evaluate everything as being possibly FOOD. In their world, there is no penalty for biting something that turns out to NOT be food. I can't think of any logical reason to assume that it can't happen with venomous snakes as well. Just with venomous snakes, you might not get a second chance to correct your handling practices.

Yes, everyone is welcome to pick their own lifestyle and their own poison, if they want to. I presume you do know that what you are doing is dangerous to you, do you not? I sure hope you do. But do you not also realize that IF you get bit, you will be a newsworthy item that can negatively affect not only your future legal ability to have those animals, but potentially snowball into affecting EVERYONE's privilege as well? THAT is what others are concerned about here. I'm sure no one here really wants to hear about you dying from a Gaboon bite. The main concern is that your actions COULD become the spark that sends bills to legislators to vote on, at all levels of government to outlaw what you are now doing for EVERYONE else.

Probably you are not concerned about that aspect of your actions. And I suppose that is your right to not care about what anyone else thinks. But you will be responsible for what happens afterwards if you do get bit. Heck, they may even name the law banning venomous snakes from private possession with your name. The "Barry Foster Venomous Snake Ban". You want to be famous in that fashion?

You claim that no one here knows you, but the reverse is also true, is it not? Do you know how your actions can affect them? Do you KNOW the people your actions may affect and how it could impact what they love to do? My impression is that your answer to that is "Hell NO! I don't give a damn about anyone else but me and what I want to do." That is it in a nutshell, isn't it?

BTW, do you live alone, or do you have other family members living there with you?

Personally, I really don't care what you do, as I have never, and will never, own nor handle venomous snakes. But even though I am retired from the reptile business, I still do care about what happens to it. How about you?

Old 12-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #69
TOsage
Thanks Rich, very well said

Old 12-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #70
54bogger
She has grown a good bit since this pic.......Enjoy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!