grapefruit seed extract , wormwood , parazap ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-25-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
groovygeckos
Question grapefruit seed extract , wormwood , parazap , beneficial bacteria(acidophilus) ?

hi been doing some reading(threads) on all of these ! ......................IS ANYONE out here using any of these products yet for their leos ? .................................................. grape seed extract sounds most promising ! ........ could it be ?............... supposedly a wide-spectrum treatment for purifying water (more or less), parasites , bacteria, and well heck "you name it , it kills it " ! and can even be used daily with no ill effect ? sounds like we have a winner !!! please? let this be true!

Old 10-25-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Xelda
I don't think I can trust any one-size-fits-all solution considering the diversity of intestinal fauna between different species. We're talking about reptiles that have evolved different systems to deal with different environments on different continents. What may be parasitic and harmful to one animal may be beneficial to another. The best way is to have regular fecal check-ups done and have your vet prescribe specific treatments.

I don't like these types of products because they're stabs in the dark. They encourage you to treat your animals even when there may very well be no need to treat them. Not only that, but when buying into these products, you deny yourself the opportunity to learn about whatever parasitic problems you happen to be dealing with.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
groovygeckos
i know

thats why im asking about grapefruit seed extract , does not seem like a "one size fits all " type of product ! it is being used on humans and animals , i just wonder why we herpers have not heard more about it ? i read the website , sounds completely harmless ,and can be used for a wide variety of problems (from what i`ve read) THANK YOU !!!!i am looking for others "informed-decisions " made about G.S.E.(in particular ) OR just more information from anyone who has done research , or may be utilizing these products after very-carefull consideration ! i will be asking my herp-vet LATER TODAY also about bene-bacs, parazap ,wormwood and grapefruit seed extract (supposedly ALOT less harmfull than parasite-meds , since it will not destroy the beneficial bacterias) BUT i would still like anyones , comments, opinions , and DEFINATELY KNOWLEDGE on this subject ... thanx in advance

Old 10-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
Xelda
Re: i know

Quote:
Originally posted by groovygeckos
i will be asking my herp-vet LATER TODAY also about bene-bacs, parazap ,wormwood and grapefruit seed extract (supposedly ALOT less harmfull than parasite-meds , since it will not destroy the beneficial bacterias)
Not all parasite medications destroy beneficial bacteria. Actually, most of them don't if you're talking about the commonly used dewormers. Like I said earlier, you should identify whatever parasite problems you're dealing with so you know exactly what you're up against.

It's good that you're consulting your vet, because reading product advertisements/websites is gaining information from a biased source. Of course they make it sound good. They want you to buy the product. Maybe the reason why it's used on humans and other animals but not herps is because herps have entirely different metabolic functions than humans.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
robin d.
bene-bac or nutri bac (pretty much same thing) is used to stimulate the appitite of an animal... it restores the benificial bacteria in the gut. it doesnt rid of worms parasites or any other harmful bacteria... it is generally used durring treatment and in conjunction with meds from the vet. to help stimulate the feeding response and if the animal is on antibiotics helps restore the benificial bacteria the antibiotics has killed. it is also used to help stimulate the appities of starved or starving animals whom other than weight are not ill.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:55 PM   #6
groovygeckos
thanx

the vet said he does not really care for grapefruit seed extract ! he did say that wormwood , or bene-bacs could not hurt , and like you said not neccessary with some meds ! as it turns out the three gex i brought in have coccidia, and 2 of those have pinworms also TERRIBLE , but at least they are being treated now ! there was no significant difference in them to point to this , just lucky i guess , that i wanted to get a "checkup" before they breed !

Old 10-25-2004, 09:49 PM   #7
LadyGecko
I have been an avid parazap user for my Bearded Dragons for many years and have found it to be a wonderful product.
I have a dragon that is 3 rs. old today because of the use of it when she was a very small baby.
I like to give any new herp a course of parazap upon arrival and I dust their crickets and worms with it a couple times per year.
I have used acidophillus upon occasion and I am undecided as to the results of that -I certainly didn't observe any ill effects and think that it can safely be given in place of yogurt when giving antibiotics or meds that do strip the intestinal tract.
I do have a close friend that used acidophillus with a bearded dragon that she was having some problems with and she swore that was what stimulated her appetite and got her on her way back to good health.

Alternate meds have been around for a long time and while I do agree that there is no "Easy Fix" for any condition -many of these herbal meds do work on mammals and reptiles.
I think that they can be combined with the more traditional meds that are gotten from your vet.

A fecal exam is always the start of determinng what is wrong and
I am not endorsing nor encouraging the use of such herbal meds-just saying what has seemed to have worked for me in the past

Does anyone have any scientific literature in reguard to the flora and fauna that are present in the mid digestive area of reptiles as there is a great difference as to what is present in many animals in the mouth the gut and the vent areas ?

Sandy

Old 10-25-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
robin d.
cocidia is very easily spread. and very hard to kill on surfaces like cages water bowels ect. the treatment is albon, i do not know if it cures them entirely or just caused the cocidia in leos to drop to a low level, not to effect the gecko but cocidia can kill an entire colony if precautions are not taken.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #9
Xelda
Albon only stops the coccidia from reproducing. It doesn't actually kill them. Only the immune system can do that, so it's important to practice extreme cleanliness.

Dan, I've had leos with coccidia show no symptoms too. That's why I get fecal tests done for ALL of my animals and never quarantine for less than 90 days (though I aim for longer than that). Make sure you replace the substrate daily. Clean everything with dishwasher detergent and rinse well. Even if you can't kill the coccidia, you can at least wash them out. Be very mindful of your quarantine procedure because you don't want this to spread to your other geckos.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
groovygeckos
thank you

for the reminder

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!