embryo development - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
hhmoore
embryo development

I am looking for information on embryo development (within the egg).
Basically, I want to know when things happen: structural formation; organ development and function; when scales, color, pattern, etc appear...
I am willing to be "told", but would prefer to be directed to a good resource/reference (that I can access)

Old 06-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
IloveSnakes1234
I tried googling it, didn't find much, or anything for that matter.
Meybe this site will help...?: http://www.biol.vt.edu/faculty/andrews/Chapter4.pdf

Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
hhmoore
Some pretty interesting stuff in there, once I got past the scientific mumbojumbo, lol. Unfortunately, relatively little of it dealt with snakes...but it gives me a base from which to work - Thanks

Old 06-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I read an article once where an individual removed a large section of an egg shortly after laying. He then covered the area with plastic wrap so that development could be observed. I'm sure that article would have some of the information you are interested in, however I cannot remember where I read it. I have too many books and magazines to find it without knowing where to start.

I realize that this is absolutely no help to you but if you should happen to run across that article in your search let me know where it is

Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
hhmoore
I've actually seen that - somewhere along the line...unfortunately, I don't recall where, either, lol.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
romad119
This has some info mostly relating to reabsorption of the limbs but does mention some other aspects. Good pics. I have heard that pigment is the last thing to develop? That would tie into why all of the 'best' looking litter/clutch mates are teh premature ones with the strange patterns/coloring.

www.mcb.uct.ac.za/UG courses/mcb204s/snakehox.pdf

Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
Apparently the code used in the forum doesn't render the % sign properly in a link so it left a space in the url.
Here's a tiny url for the page Alan linked to.

http://tinyurl.com/2puwbe

I too have read that pigment develops last, and is one explanation for several "leucistic" appearing hatchlings that died sometime prior to hatching.
I remember several years ago Tracy Barker posted a pic of such a neonate and considered that the reason it was white.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!