Legalities of running a home base snake breeding business - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
MurdocksReptiles
Legalities of running a home base snake breeding business

Curious if anyone local to santa rosa, CA ( or anywhere really just mention your location ) knows what rules or regulations there are on the number of animals ( snakes in particular ) that are allowed to be held on one property?

Do the rules change if you make it a home based business?

What would happen if a neighbor complained and authorities found 60+ boas? would I be forced to remove them from the premiss within a time frame? or is it legal? and if it is legal what law states that? or how do i present it to be legal?

wold love anyones opinion on this.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
EastCoastArboreals
For your best information give California Fish and Wildlife and or your local Herp Society a call. Local law enforcement may or may not be ignorant to the actual laws concerning animals but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Herps Alive!
A big "what if" in most residential areas is how the business is run. If you are based in the home, but will be selling ONLY mail-order and at off-premises, it is probably different than if people are coming to the home to buy.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
MurdocksReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
A big "what if" in most residential areas is how the business is run. If you are based in the home, but will be selling ONLY mail-order and at off-premises, it is probably different than if people are coming to the home to buy.
Ahh,
very interesting point.
i have been in contact with my local herpetological society president and he believes it to be a legal business as long as no venomous snakes are present.
Still attempting to talk with local fish and wildlife and get a definitive answer.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
alcmaeon
In California its not the State you need to worry about, its your local city. But it is really 2 questions you are asking. The first is if you can have a home based or Internet based business or not, in Santa Rosa. Like previously posted, if you are selling online or at shows nothing need connect you to where the reptiles are housed. Get a PO box for official mail if need be- Taxes, incorporation papers, etc.

The 2nd question is about housing the reptiles. Those laws are largely city by city. So Ca Fish and Game won't be helpful. The exceptions are venomous and native species. Those have limits or need a permit from the state. But for non-native Boas or Pythons that isn't the case. Does Santa Rosa have any exotic animal laws on the books? Prohibited species, limits on how many you can have, do you need a permit for exotic pets? You should be able to find that by searching the City of Santa Rosa's website. If not, animal control may be able to help you- but don't offer too much info like your name or address- they are not your friends until proven otherwise.

Also, take a lesson from that guy in Colorado. The less your neighbors know the better..

Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Malestrom
I live in Philadelphia pa and the twp officials came by on a call that I was running a business from my home. They asked me to write a letter to them stating that I do not sell from my home as in people walking in and buying here, online they dont care about, its a zoning issue and parking issue here.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Bigtyny
I had a friend when I lived in California have the drug task force come to his place they thought he was a drug dealer lol they let him off with a warning told it was illegal to run a pet shop at home he opened a pet store

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!