PA Herp Law Forum Jan 17, 2014 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
rugbyman2000
Exclamation PA Herp Law Forum Jan 17, 2014

The Lancaster Herpetological Society is asking reptile and amphibian enthusiasts to join us at the Manheim Township Public Library on January 17, 2014 at 7 PM, with questions and concerns for Captain Tom Burrell, from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

This is an excellent opportunity to voice the concerns that some keepers may have about recent enforcement measures involving copperheads and other native species. The current regulation interpretations are especially vague in regard to possession of copperheads, rat snakes, milk snakes, garter snakes, box turtles, and other species and subspecies that are not clearly defined under the PA legal code. This has resulted in controversial "busts" at the Hamburg Reptile Show within the last six months.

Captain Burrell will have the opportunity to explain many of the challenges that our law enforcement officers face as they protect the commonwealth's natural resources, with collection pressure as strong as ever.

It is sure to be a valuable discussion between law enforcement and herpetology enthusiasts.

Please sign up or share the FB event to help spread the word.
https://www.facebook.com/events/588679607869725/

There is a free event and LHS is a nonprofit educational organization. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
SofaKing
I truly would like to go to this, not sure if I'm able.

I'm interested on the Copperhead issue. It's obvious that Northern Copperheads are Illegal to possess, but the issue of them confiscating Southern, Broadband, Transpeco and Osage Copperheads is kinda ridiculous. Seems like they can't tell the obvious difference between the species.

I also heard the rumors about the Rat snakes being confiscated.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
coldblooded_novelties
Its amazing how you can go to PA web site and they can give you a detailed map and range of the N Copperhead (( Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen )) and then the New Sherriff in town Captain Thomas Burrell comes in with great enthusiasm and takes everyone's copperheads including southerns (( Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix )) Tranpacos (( Agkistrodon contortrix pictigaster )) and Broad Bands. Coming from a law background myself 20 years NYPD Narcotics with countless search warrants under my belt I can not believe the time and effort the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission headed by Burnell put in that weekend. He needed a name for himself and the state needed money that's it in the nutshell. Much cheaper to pay a bogus fine then it is to have your day in court. IMHO

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!