Sudden agression in two JCP yearlings? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
OwnerSince2010
Sudden agression in two JCP yearlings?

Hello, I’ve had my two jungle carpet pythons for about a month, they were hatched in June of 2010. Was a little worried at first, heard that young JCP’s can be very nippy until about 3 years. They were the two sweetest snakes I owned, until today. I would always handle them (daily for ~ 15 minutes a piece, sometimes twice a day) and they always just tried to explore or sometimes just chilled on my hand, both ofcorse went for my glasses, but neither showed any signs of aggression, no hissing, no striking, nothing.

Both of them just shed about two weeks ago, both healthy sheds and the eye caps did come off. I feed them in a separate feeding cage. Here recently I’ve been having to give them shots for antibiotics, when I got them they had mites and my vet said to give them the shots to prevent any infection from the mites and some spray stuff to spray them with every 3 days. I last fed them on Saturday.

Walking by the cage today she struck at the cage. Twice. Every time anyone gets near the cage, she goes into striking position and stalks them. The male will go into striking position but haven’t seen him strike.

Are they just having a bad day or is this a sign of an underlying medical issue?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerSince2010 View Post
Hello, I’ve had my two jungle carpet pythons for about a month, they were hatched in June of 2010. Was a little worried at first, heard that young JCP’s can be very nippy until about 3 years. They were the two sweetest snakes I owned, until today. I would always handle them (daily for ~ 15 minutes a piece, sometimes twice a day) and they always just tried to explore or sometimes just chilled on my hand, both ofcorse went for my glasses, but neither showed any signs of aggression, no hissing, no striking, nothing.

Both of them just shed about two weeks ago, both healthy sheds and the eye caps did come off. I feed them in a separate feeding cage. Here recently I’ve been having to give them shots for antibiotics, when I got them they had mites and my vet said to give them the shots to prevent any infection from the mites and some spray stuff to spray them with every 3 days. I last fed them on Saturday.

Walking by the cage today she struck at the cage. Twice. Every time anyone gets near the cage, she goes into striking position and stalks them. The male will go into striking position but haven’t seen him strike.

Are they just having a bad day or is this a sign of an underlying medical issue?
its the shots. they are very stressful for a snake, especially a baby one. if they were calm before the shots, then they might settle down in a week or so.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
OwnerSince2010
Ok, thank you Wasn't sure if it was that or something more serious

Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Mystic Exotics
It is fairly common for baby carpets to be aggressive.
Since yours are only about 7 months old, unless they're showing other signs
of potential problems, I wouldn't worry about it. They will generally mellow out as they get older.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
OwnerSince2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
It is fairly common for baby carpets to be aggressive.
Since yours are only about 7 months old, unless they're showing other signs
of potential problems, I wouldn't worry about it. They will generally mellow out as they get older.
I heard this, but they showed no signs of aggression before, which is why I was worried :O

Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
Mystic Exotics
Maybe they were just getting adjusted to a new home. I have one hatching that showed no signs of aggression for a few weeks, & I started to worry that something was wrong. Then one day she struck at me when I went to change out her water. For the most part, she's a docile baby, but during feeding time, & on occasion, she shows her aggression. Another one I have, that is a 2009 baby is pretty much grumpy all the time. LOL
Like I said, I wouldn't be too worried, unless there's other factors involved (not eating, not acting right, etc)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
hhmoore
Young carpets, and even some older ones, are very movement oriented and touch responsive. That's why the tap tease method of feeding works so well with them.

Think about it for a minute, if you were hanging out minding your own business, and one of those big came over and jabbed a needle in you; how many times would it have to happen before you started reacting to its approach?

Antibiotics for mites??? Am I the only one that found that unusual?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
OwnerSince2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Young carpets, and even some older ones, are very movement oriented and touch responsive. That's why the tap tease method of feeding works so well with them.

Think about it for a minute, if you were hanging out minding your own business, and one of those big came over and jabbed a needle in you; how many times would it have to happen before you started reacting to its approach?

Antibiotics for mites??? Am I the only one that found that unusual?
I did too, the dude was a little bit of a quack (I brought them in, after finding a mite, with the mite in a baggie and some tell-tale signs. He said they didn't have mites, and the one I found was a free-roaming mite. He looked over them with a magnifying glass and didn't "find anything". Wasn't til they were crawling with mites that he admitted they were "fast moving" mites.) but he's the vet and 2nd closest herp vet is ~ 90 minutes away, which I didn't wanna do in this weather

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!