If at all possible. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:11 AM   #1
Dennis Hultman
If at all possible.

Now that it’s more active, can we pleaseeeeeee have the new posts link rolled back to show all new posts, not just the last hundred. It would really hurt to think I missed a post that I would want to contribute to because it was extremely active on a particular day.

I truly miss seeing all posts in the search function when trying to find old threads too. Anyway, maybe you can make it a perk with contribution levels.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
DAND
Thumbs up Agreed

A 100 posts come rather quickly around here.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
WebSlave
Well I understand what you are saying, but I don't believe you understand why I had to limit it like I did.

Suppose I did enable it so that ALL posts would be displayed for the Display New Posts function. And suppose someone stops by here after a 6 months absence and does the Display New Posts function. How many posts would that search have to bring up and display? Suppose 100 people under the same circumstances happened to initiate that function at the same time? Aren't the rest of the members going to get a bit peeved when the system slows down considerably with the server getting bogged down with all those searches? The option for the number of posts retrieved in a search is shared with the function for displaying all new posts as well as the regular search function button. So it is entirely possible that at any given time, this site may have dozens of searches being done at the same moment. Having each of those functions pulling 100 hits from the database is bad enough, but each one calling up ALL hits, meaning each search has to search through each and every record in the index file for the database, would place an unacceptable burden on the throughput of this site.

Bear in mind that although each post here on this site is indexed for keyword searches (which is also used for the Display New Posts function), the index file alone is 137 megabytes. Which means the potential exists for each and every search to have to process this entire 137 megabyte file each and every time a search is initiated. Now, tell me that won't put a load on the server if I didn't limit the number of hits returned............

Sorry, but as in many instances in trying to decide what is best for the overall use of this site, compromises will always have to be made.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
And suppose someone stops by here after a 6 months absence and does the Display New Posts function.

I can’t believe that not all 28,645 members stop in each day. J/k

I understand.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
DAND
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
maybe you can make it a perk with contribution levels.
Would Dennis' suggestion be possible? Say Benefactor on up? I'd bet those members are here much more often if not here daily.

I was just away for less than an hour and a half and there were 35 new posts in that time alone.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
WebSlave
Sorry, but no. That is not an option that is controlled via the member group permissions. It is a global option that affects all users equally.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
DAND
Wink

Are you sure?

Just kidding. Guess we'll just have to show up more often then.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:03 AM   #8
WebSlave
I just checked the posting stats page and see that over the last three days (04/10 - 04/12) we got 522, 539, and 546 new posts. Since the numbers seem to be increasing, I felt a compromise is in order and increased the search hit count to 200 returns rather then just the previous 100 hits.

Maybe that will help somewhat.

But I will be keeping an eye on server load, and if it looks like it is causing too much loading down of the server, I will have to revert back to the lower number to keep things running smoothly.

How's that sound?

Old 04-13-2006, 03:04 AM   #9
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
How's that sound?
Sounds good to me.

I was wondering though, just an idea--don't even know if it's possible, but since we're back to thread-based classified ads, would it be possible/feasible/logical/realistic/appropriate to leave the classifieds out of the "new posts" feature? I mean, no offense to the ads whatsoever, but I go browse them if I'm looking for something, whereas I might drop in on a new discussion topic if I come across it.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #10
DAND
Thumbs up Cool!

That'll help. Thanks Rich.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!