The Death Penalty - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the death penalty?
Not under any circumstances 7 12.96%
Only when the victim is a child 0 0%
It is for the jury to decide 2 3.70%
Only in outstandingly cruel or horrible crimes 4 7.41%
exes, honey, fire ants 2 3.70%
If they hurt me or my family, they'd never get as far as the courtroom. 4 7.41%
Each case is different 0 0%
exes, elevators, cobras 0 0%
It's God's responsibility to judge 'em, it's our responsibility to arrange the meeting 5 9.26%
Fry 'em 30 55.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2004, 04:35 PM   #61
CAV
Technically, isn't society simply exercising its right to self defense by ending the capability of a known threat to interfere with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Old 09-25-2004, 07:17 PM   #62
shrap
Quote:
Originally posted by CAV
Technically, isn't society simply exercising its right to self defense by ending the capability of a known threat to interfere with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?
Technically, the threat to society ended the day the person was incarcerated for their crimes. Killing someone who is imprisoned on death row can no longer be considered self defense. It is murder.

Capitol punishment is nothing more than legalized murder. It is certainly not a deterrent to violent crime.... based on what we see happening in our country on a daily basis.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #63
llechler
Excellent point shrap, by murdering someone we are only condoning and promoting death. And in my book, killing is wrong, no matter what the circumstances period.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #64
CAV
Quote:
Originally posted by shrap Technically, the threat to society ended the day the person was incarcerated for their crimes. Killing someone who is imprisoned on death row can no longer be considered self defense. It is murder.
Try explaining that to the families of:

1) Victims of paroled inmates that were previously convicted and later released.

2) The families left behind after their loved one, serving as a correctional officer, was murdered by a convicted, incarcerated, and (therefore by your arguement) no longer a threat inmate.

Quote:
Originally posted by shrap
Capitol punishment is nothing more than legalized murder. It is certainly not a deterrent to violent crime.... based on what we see happening in our country on a daily basis. [/b]
I disagree and so do the violent crime statistics. As of last week, crime rates for violent climes at at a thirty year low. Is it just a coincidence that the death penalty was reinstated at the begining of that time period?

Murder and the legal execution of a judical mandate in response to the committement of a violent crime are not the same things and can't be compared.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:52 PM   #65
sirenofthestorm
I don't know why you're comparing crime stats between now and when the death penalty was reinstated.... what about per capita crime stat comparisons between the time the death penalty was banned to the time it was reinstated?

Old 09-25-2004, 11:48 PM   #66
shrap
In order.

1) People committing a crime heinous enough to be considered for the death penalty would NEVER be paroled if there was not a death penalty. It would be life in prison without the chance for parole. Manson and his crew ring a bell?? Richard Speck?? Your argument is completely irrelevant to the death penalty because those types of criminals would never see the light of day outside a prison for the rest of their lives.

2) No longer considered a threat to SOCIETY. The key word here is SOCIETY. If you CHOOSE to work as a correctional officer that is the risk you take. And you are well aware of that risk before you ever CHOOSE to take the job. And it does not take a criminal worthy of the death penalty (or life without parole) to kill a correctional officer. Every prisoner in a prison is capable of that, regardless of the crime they committed that got them there. Again, that argument is completely irrelevant to the death penalty.

3) Crime stats. That has already been partially answered...Thanks siren. The other part of that is that if you believe any stat coming from the government, particularly in an election year, I got some really awesome half gecko half snake hybrids for sale that I made in my breeder projects this hear I will sell to you.

4) Murder is murder no matter what color you paint it. The only justifiable murder is self defense or in defending the lives of your loved ones or other innocent people.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:42 AM   #67
CAV
That is my point exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by sirenofthestorm
I don't know why you're comparing crime stats between now and when the death penalty was reinstated.... what about per capita crime stat comparisons between the time the death penalty was banned to the time it was reinstated?
The death penalty was stuck down, reviewed and then reinstated all within the last thirty-one years. Therefore that particular statistics does in fact cover ALL crime, including the hiatus period of 1973-76.

Quote:
Originally posted by shrap
That has already been partially answered...Thanks siren.
Sorry to rain on your parade, Sammy but I just invalidated argument #3. Besides it isn't election year information, it is a matter of public record and is confirmed by multiple sources, including anti-DP groups.

Oh yeah, point #1 is also false. It is possible to commute a life sentence. It happens rather frequently. We can all thank prison overcrowding for that little loophole.

Old 09-26-2004, 04:33 AM   #68
shrap
Quote:
it is a matter of public record and is confirmed by multiple sources, including anti-DP groups.
I can not say I have actually ever read any reports or seen stats from any anti-DP groups...so I will have to take your word for them. But trust me.....the volume of violent crime in America is still staggering. If the the DP is supposed to be a deterrent, it is not a very good one.

Quote:
Oh yeah, point #1 is also false. It is possible to commute a life sentence. It happens rather frequently. We can all thank prison overcrowding for that little loophole.
Dude get real. Nobody commiting a crime that would warrant the DP would ever get commuted. Richard Speck killed 7 nurses in Chicago in the late 60's when there was not a DP. He died in prison. Same with Manson and his followers, they are all going to die in prison. To say we need the DP just in case someone commutes a mass murderer from his life sentence is just plain being ornery. Someone can just as easliy commute a death sentence. If you are going to try and make a valid point, by all means do so. But stop with the dumb sh!#.

Look Gary, I can honestly understand SOME peoples point of view on why they think we need a death penalty. I just don't agree.

Sometimes in life we just have to agree to disagree.

Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #69
sirenofthestorm
ok guys... we've already hashed out these points in the previous 13 pages. No one is going to change anyone's mind yet, all we can do is try to educate each other as to why we believe the things we do, and that's not what I'm seeing right now. Things are getting not so friendly in this thread, so can't we all be nice? please?

Old 10-04-2004, 03:47 AM   #70
TooManyBurmese
Something that disturbs me on the shows I watch (named on page 1 or 2) is that people imprisoned for voluntary manslaughter or lesser degree murder and other manslaughter charges are often only given a decade or so in prison. Sometimes these people only avoid a 1st degree charge due to a technicality.

Not all but some leave prison only to kill again. It is amazing and freakin scary how many people are caught due to their past records!

As I said I believe in my country's judicial system. I am not blind to the mistakes made by both defense and prosecution...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!