Kickin out eggs, and takin names,... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
thesnakeman
Kickin out eggs, and takin names,...

Well folks, my girl finaly poped. She droped 10 eggs over the course of about 16 hours. Then she got stuck overnight, and she had to take a trip to the vet for a little help with the last two. All twelve eggs look good. The smallest was the last, and I realize it may be a bit too small, but otherwise looks good. The largest one is the one that caused her trouble. She was just too tired to push it out. I can't remember the last time I was this happy! She is now resting comfortably, and looking very well. I'm so proud of her. It was her first litter, as well as mine. I still have all my hair. Let's see how much I loose during incubation! Currently there are five names on my list. Please feel free to contact me at; thesnakeman@centurytel.net and get your name added to the list. Here are a couple pics of her and the eggs.
T.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Douglas Taylor
Hey Tony,

The eggs all look more "tan" than white. The shapes look mostly right but that little one looks shaped kinda weird. I hope the color of the eggs is due to lighting and photography.

How did they feel when you removed the eggs from the nesting box? Where they "water balloon" feeling? If they feel that way now, well that's a bad sign.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know my opinion, which is the color looks bad enough that I don't think those eggs are good.

I hope I'm wrong.

Doug T

Old 05-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
thesnakeman

The color in the pics is not nessecarily representative of real life. Some of the color issue is due to the fact that almost everything in that room is either some shade of brown or tan, and ambient light in that room casts that apearance. They are very white. The ones which had just poped out were a little soft at first, but they have all fimed up nicely now. No worries. Now let's just see what they do, or don't do.
T.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Wilomn
Hopefully they have a rough almost sandpapery feel to them, that's a good thing. Smooth is not.

Shoot me an email and let's talk price and permits and stuff. It's been years since I had/bred any and I'm thinking this may be the year to get back into them.

Congrats too.

wpollock3@yahoo.com

Old 05-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Douglas Taylor
Sounds like lighting, not egg color, is the reason for the brown eggs. If that's the case, you probably have some winners there. Now you get to wait for 3-4 months.

Doug T

Old 05-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
thesnakeman
Culling

Today I checked on the eggs, and smelled the stench of death eminating from the little one. I kinda figured as much before, but thought I'd give it a chance anyway. Now it has to go. So I removed it. Two more give me a feeling of doubt, including the big boy, so I segragated them from the rest of the clutch. I never expected her to lay 12 eggs, let alone have all of them make it all the way to hatch. So I'm not too disapointed just yet. Heck,...I'm still pleased as punch. I'll be totaly satisfied if the rest make it. I won't be heart broken, unless none do. All the rest look and smell fine, but only time will tell. I'll continue to post both my triumphs, and failures. That's how we learn.
T.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:39 AM   #7
Eric East
Best of luck to you!

Eric

Old 06-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
thesnakeman
two more

The other two, which I had suspected of being no good have shrunk, and colapsed, and turned funky colors. So they are gone. Now were down to 9. But I'm still optimistic! The "Q" word is not in my vocabulary. Period.
T.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
thesnakeman
Red face update

Wer'e still at 9 eggs. No funky colors, or rotton odor. However I'm finding it difficult to maintain the proper humidity/moisture level. It seems to be a balancing act between desication, and mold. And there are one or two more eggs, I'm concerned about. But we'll see. Having never done this before, it's a definate learning experience. I'll still be very happy if ANY make it all the way, and shocked if they all do. So cross your fingers, and toes, say your prayers, rub your Buhdah, or whatever voodoo you do. And I'll keep an eye on things here. Thanks,
T.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
Wilomn
You can mist them off with water of the appropiate temperature. A spray bottle kept in the incubator is all you need to increase the humidity by very small increments.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!