Legality of Eastern Indigos in Texas? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
mfarley
Legality of Eastern Indigos in Texas?

I'm moving from California to Texas in January and have always wanted an Eastern Indigo.

Would it be easier/better legal-wise to buy it in California and move it with me to Texas? Or would I have no problems purchasing/owning one in Texas?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 11-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
epidemic
Either / Or

It will really make no difference, as you will not be required to obtain a permit either way, so long as you acquire one within your state of residence, and Texas has no qualms with anyone keeping Drymarchon, other than D. m erebennus, which was not once the case as their regulations still indicate Drymarchon corais as being protected, which used to be the species most all Drys were classified as and most old texts indicated most all Drys. This only makes it easier to legally keep D. couperi in Texas, as they are now a full species.
You may wish to check with Steve Takata, as I believe he still has a few D. couperi left, from multiple lines, and he is currently in California, though moving to Texas around the first of the year himself...

Best of luck with both the move and acquisition,

Jeff

Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
mfarley
Jeff,

Wonderfully informative! Thank you very much.

I actually exchanged emails with Steve Takata two days ago and am waiting to hear back from him.

Glad to know I can keep Drys in TX!

Matt

Old 11-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
epidemic
Always a pleasure to help, Matt,

I'm sure Steve will be back in contact with you soon, as I am certain he is busy with the holiday, baby indigos, coxi hatching and pending move...

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 11-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
BWSmith
mmmmmmmmmmmmm coxi. Definitely another species on my list.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
epidemic
And you say I have too many? ;0)

Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
thesnakeman
Matt,
I would like to invite you to bring this topic over to www.indigosforever.org And I would also like to ask you to PLEASE keep us posted on how things go once you settle in Texas. I would also caution you to check with the Texas wildlife folks to make sure first. I remember checking with them once myself, but I was not entirely comfortable with the response I got. I am not convinced that the game wardens there will know the difference between an eastern indigo, and a Texas indigo. You may want to find some scientific/photographic species description, and some written scientific paper on the new full species classifacation of couperi, to show them in order to insure everything stays kosher. Does anyone know where we can find a copy of that scalation picture that Dean once posted on the other forum, and a copy of something explaining new species classifacation?? That would be exactly what he needs. Along with Jeff's contact info just in case they still have questions. This should prove to be interesting since nobody has any indigos that I know of in Texas as of yet. And Texas is a state to which I would consider moving if I thought they would leave me alone. Thanks, and good luck,
T.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Tim Cole
Matt,

Where in Texas are you moving to? I moved here from Illinois in 85' and am loving it.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
mfarley
It will either be in Dallas or Houston, depending on which company offers me a better job I'm interviewing with both presently, and am fairly confident they will each extend offers.

My wife and I are California people and I'm a bit worried about the humidity I keep hearing about. Are the summers THAT bad?

Old 11-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Tim Cole
Summers...

It will be worse in Houston than Dallas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!